Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I have them printed at either a local lab or a lab online. Then I put them in simple mats. I put the matted prints in a clear bag and they're good to go.

I haven't offered CD's with my photos though.

I'm going to expand on lukejc1's post ... for anyone who is thinking of going this route - perhaps this will help. If you're lucky enough to live where you can sell photos this way, it can be lucrative. I live in one... and while I don't sell my own photos I do take a professional interest in what does and does not sell.

In my community, the best sellers spend as much time on presentation as the image. It's not enough to just have a good image... the packaging has to 'sell' it. And often a bad image packaged well sells, where a good image badly presented doesn't.

The mat needs to be neat and look professionally cut. You can save a lot of money learning how to cut your own mats... but you have to be good. The alternative is buy pre-cut mats ... but then your photos have to be cropped to fit the mat.

The clear sleeve a great idea. It allows the customer to inspect the back of the mat, and what they see here is often as important as the front. This is where a little write-up about you is found, about the scene, perhaps your community. Customers often buy a photo for the story.... so include it here. Also, you'll need to judge whether it looks 'handwritten' and casual. Perhaps you spent the previous night sitting at a kitchen table writing it up, by the light of a candle - or - maybe what sells is the more professional look. Check around the market and see who is being successful. Or put both out and see what sells.

Get a nice warm and fuzzy and inviting portrait of yourself taken, and add a small version to the write up. I have a friend who has the most amazingly portrait of himself.... by any technical standard it is just mediocre... but you can't help but like him when you see the portrait. I'm convinced that some people buy his photos without ever looking at the front....And his stuff sells. And he's a good photographer as well.

If people can see several pieces of paper in the back (artist into, scene info, etc) they will feel they are getting a lot of value for the price. It really helps.

Any way... good luck.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I'm going to expand on lukejc1's post ...

Excellent advice. Selling the sizzle instead of the steak. Presentation and personality is very important. (and as snberk103 identifies, personality extends to all aspects, not just the photographer)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.