Sellings domains. What is there to know?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by p0intblank, Jun 23, 2009.

1. p0intblank macrumors 68030

This is my first time selling domains to someone. After the payment is accepted, where do I go from there? I've moved domains before, but it was for personal use. Is there a step by step process I can easily follow? Any advice is appreciated!

2. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Interesting... I have a question also:
    A friend of mine has just paid £3,000 to have a website designed. It took 6 months for the web designer to complete it. Now he has realised he is paying £10 a month for his email and website.
    Is there a way to absorb the files from the website, and register a new domain (for free). Any ideas??

3. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

he can go to another host. you can get pretty cheap ones. does he own the domain name? if not then he would have to buy one then fix the site to reflect the changes.

4. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

I'm not sure, how would he get the files. I assume the web designer would have it written in his contract that he owns the files (so he can charge £10 a month indeffinitely ) quite a nice earner.

5. eleven2brett macrumors regular

Check the designer's contract or website to see if your friend has to keep his hosting with him exclusively. It's really not unheard of for designers to do it that way. £10 is quite a bit though, probably should be paying more like 5.

6. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

I spoke with him yesterday. He says that he owns it. Which I find hard to beleive as he does not know much about computers. The webdesigner arranged everything and performed it on his account. I assume he has a cheaper 'bargain bucket' account :D.
    I am also mystified as he paid £3000 for a very basic website, and did not sign a contract or anything like that.
    He is paying £10 a month for his email, and website I think. So what are his options? I'm trying to design my own website at the moment and currently learning Java Script. Have not come across anything like this yet, be a while till I know what the crack is with this. So what can my pal do? The site is up and running, can he register with another provider so after a year or two he can pay for it himself?

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

if he owns it he can move any time.
    but he needs the login and password for the domain and for the website. without those he can't do anything. if he does not know a lot about computers he may need help changing to another provider. if nothing else he should change the passwords for both the domain host and site. then he would have full control over them.

8. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

is this £10 a month his hosting plan? or is he paying that to the designer, or who exactly????

9. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

I think he pays it to the designer who pays for it out of his account.

10. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

HA! You just reminded me. I own my ex employers domain name. I wonder what its worth to him?

11. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

no contract? uh oh :rolleyes:

Sounds like the designer still owns the site files and your friend is basically "renting" the use of it.

12. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

That's what I said to him. He's basically over a barrel with no lubrication :(. He said he might ask to change it over to him, but surely the designer will just laugh at him. Why would he hand it all over when he'll probably have about twenty years of my mate paying him. Really helps with my motivation to construct my own site.

13. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

123 Reg.co.uk

123 Reg.co.uk anybody heard of these? I was thinking about registering my domain with these but straight away I am put off as there is no way (Not without going through a hundred pages) of emailing or phoning them. I think that this is not very good.
    I want full ownership of the domain and good prices for email hosting and site hosting. Don't really know what to look out for. Anyone have any advice, things to watch out for and companies to recommend/ avoid?