Semi break-thru in document sharing between apps...

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by iThinman, Aug 15, 2010.

1. iThinman macrumors regular

Ok, time for a new thread on this issue of sharing documents between applications. This is starting to look like it is definately a permissions issue...and I'm starting to care less and less. :)

I am able to place symbolic links in GoodReader and DocsToGo pointing to /var/mobile and any directories I place there are viewable by each application. However, when attempting to create a file with DocsToGo, nothing happens. If I then browse to /var/mobile/Media/DCIM, I can create/read/write till my hearts content.

So, this started to make me real happy as I thought that this was the same folder that pops up when connecting to the PC to sync, but it's not. /var off the root is a symbolic link to /private/var, and from there, things start to confuse me a bit hierarchly and everything is owned by root/wheel, so that's about as far as I go there for now.

So, it looks Ike I can manually place a folder structure in /var/mobile/Media/DCIM with links to that folder within apps and manipulate files in one location from multiple applications! I'm very damn happy about this!!

Ideally, I would like to be able to place this directory structure in the same location that pops up in Windows when connected. If this where the case, i believe I could map a drive letter to it and then use something like RichCopy to sync the data to/from my network share and no longer need to worry about which file I edited where and manually syncing.

2. bluedog3401 macrumors regular

At first, I was thinking this isn't really going to be a workable solution. But you may be on to something. I've been working with symbolic links to try and get documents in GoodReader and an editing app like Pages to be able to open and save documents without the need to email them out or wait for a wired-sync to get them back out.

But the links I've been making are within the Documents folders of specific apps (using iFile). Your method of putting a 'common folder' in your /var/mobile/ account is a good idea. I'm wondering if the system api isn't honoring the symbolic links or at least within the specific directory structure. Without modifying your permissions of an entire tree (the big hammer approach that leads to less possible security), if it is the application and permissions this may be the key.

I'm curious to try this out. Thanks for sharing your findings. If iOS4.1 or soon comes up with an elegant solution this may all become moot, but for now its one of the most annoying missing features of the iOS.

3. iThinman thread starter macrumors regular

Heading to a meeting but will try to type more later.

Just wanted to post real quick that the above + WinSCP is freaking awesome. WinSCP supports compare and copy new or not existing files.

Took me maybe 6 mins for it to Wifi sync up my folder of about 600mb, I had about 100mb worth of it already present

4. thearora, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2011

thearora macrumors newbie

/var/mobile is not accessible in any way

Hi,

I am trying to share data between two app.
    For the same, i tried to save a plist file in application area so that another app can access from there.
    But iOS not allowing to save data excepts documents dir of app.
    Which is not accessible by another app.

Please suggest.