Semi-bricked 3G w/3.0 Beta

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gottafly, Mar 29, 2009.

1. gottafly macrumors regular

I've been running 3.0 beta for over a week with little to no problems since setting it up as a "new device". Yesterday, however, I had a strange experience. I used YouTube app ( it worked fine), but later that night a couple of apps began to crash. After a hard reset it simply didn't come out of it. The hard reset was followed by the apple logo which lasted forever. I repeated the process, same thing. Went to bed with the unit still showing logo and in the morning it was dead, as expected. Plugging it in, it finally reset itself and was able to load up and get to the home/apps screen.

The only catch is now ALL of the native apps work fine but NONE of the installed apps wok at all. The "open" and immediately close.

Has anyone experience this or have any ideas?

2. eyefoniac macrumors 6502

eyefoniac

I am an iphone dev, but I have not had this problem myself. I did have interesting things happen, so I proceeded to restore the phone with the beta software and things are just peachy now. Maybe a straight up restore would be good.

3. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

During my first install everything worked pretty good. I discovered some 3rd party apps would not work and those that crashed I removed until the devs can update them. After the first 3 days, my music data base wiped out as others have posted so I did a 3.0 reinstall and set up as a new phone.

I am currently still using the second install and battery life totally went crazy. My iPhone was dying 3 times a day. I shut everything off except the phone/edge. I removed ALL 3rd party apps. I have started turning things on every 12 hours to monitor battery life and troubleshoot. Yesterday I had put Google Mobile back on and battery died in 5 hours. I took it off, recharged and currently at 95% battery life with phone, wifi, 1 hr push all on. My battery test results are/will be posted here as I am still testing.

Moral of the story...Remove all 3rd Party Apps as they are not upgraded to work with 3.0. Put those that you just can not do without on your phone one at a time and over a period of time. Watch for the updates to see if they have been upgraded to work with 3.0 which none have due to this still in 1st Beta.

If anyone else is having battery problems I recommend the above. I will continue to post what does/does not work in my thread.

I would also recommend a restore and set up as new phone...do not restore with your backup.

Good Luck

4. banerjia macrumors newbie

Same problem

I have had the same problem with the iPhone getting semi-bricked with the first install of the 3.0 beta. I made sure to do a clean install the first time around. After a few days, it was dragging it's foot getting apps to run so I decided to shut it off and restart. Well when it restarted, iTunes recognized it as a device in recovery mode. I had to restore with a fresh installation of 3.0 and everything has been good so far.

I have trimmed my selection of 3rd party apps to just a handful - including some games and FB. No problems with any of the apps right now except for some of the usual bugs discovered by others.

5. eyefoniac macrumors 6502

eyefoniac

Yeah, I forgot to mention to restore as a new phone. Do not restore from a backup, restoring as a new phone is what fixed the problems for me.

6. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I have plenty of 3rd party apps on my iPhone running the 3.0 beta and haven't hardy had any problems with them. They can get a little wonky at times but overall they are working pretty well.

Honestly, this beta has been quite rock solid. I've only had to do the one install of it so far. I had done many 2.0 restores back in those beta days so I am impressed with 3.0's stability. I haven't encountered any bugs that a restart or a resync to my itunes library couldn't fix. [knocks on wood].

7. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

Hey Mikey, I agree with you for the most part. I have now found one of the culprits and sadly it is the Google Mobile App. I have been putting apps back on one at a time and this one was responsible for the very rapid battery drain. I have tested it twice with removal and installation. It is affecting 3.0 and have not tested it on 2.2.1. As soon as you log into your google account and access any of the google accounts it continues to run even if you close the web page and only have a blank page in safari.

Again, I am not blaming all apps and currently my iPhone is running better then it was with 2.2.1 after removing all the apps. I have 5 back on that do not affect the iPhone and they are listed in my other thread.

There may be others and if I find one then I will post to see if others have the same results.