Semi-complex data upgrade question...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chriskzoo, Jun 8, 2010.

1. chriskzoo macrumors 6502

The situation:

My wife uses an old iPhone 2G which has the $20 unlimited data + 200 text messages a month and since my work phone is so locked down (no pictures, etc) I am also going to grab a new iPhone 4. Here's the problem - I know we can keep the unlimited data plan if we want on her phone, but would there be any way to have that apply to MY phone # (which will be "new" and thus not be eligible for the unlimited data plan) and then put the 200MB package on HER number?

I'm guessing AT&T will say they can't/won't do it.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You will have to call AT&T, best you will get here is speculation and BS answers. The people you need are the people at AT&T. If you can't get on the unlimited plan does that hinder your decision on the iPhone? If not then who cares about unlimited? How much data does your wife use now?

However, the answer is likely no. They're hardly ones to make exceptions and hardly ones who will bend even if you've been a long time customer with multiple lines.

3. chriskzoo thread starter macrumors 6502

My wife uses like 10MB a month, LOL - which is why I see no reason to continue her on the unlimited plan - but right now on the 2G it's only $20 a month so there is no incentive to change her to the 200MB a month plan which you then need to pay $5 a month for texting.

But if we both have the iPhone 4, I could keep her data/texting costs at the same price ($20 a month) on the lower data plan and would like to keep the unlimited if possible.

Then again, since you can bump up and back down between data plans if I go over 200MB a month, I'm probably worrying about nothing. I can't imagine when I would ever go over 2GB.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

So there you go, you don't need unlimited and your wife's phone will have the unlimited plan whether it's the $20 if she keeps the phone she has or the $30 if she upgrades. You on the other hand will likely be bound to the 2GB cap if that's what you choose. You don't have unlimited as a choice I think but again, you need to ask AT&T. I assure you "jessica said" doesn't cut it.