Semi-decent Desktop Speakers

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by harrycobbold, Aug 26, 2010.

1. harrycobbold macrumors member

Hi, I'm about to buy myself a new iMac and I want to kit it out with a decent pair if speakers, I was looking at the Bose range, mainly at the Bose Companion 3 Series II because I don't want to go over £200 if I can help it. There where a few bad reviews on them though, saying they had a lot of white noise when there was nothing playing and that there was a lot of interference from mobiles... So I was hoping for some alternative recommendations.

To summarise; decent sounding desktop speakers under £200...
    Any recommendations would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks, Harry.

2. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Don't go for Bose, for the price they're absolutely terrible.

I really wanted to get a set of Swan M10s, having heard absolutely nothing bad about them anywhere, but they're not available easily in the UK.

In the end I went for a set of Creative T40s. I wasn't really expecting to like them, I thought they'd be junk made by a computer peripheral manufacturer, but they turned out to be brilliant. They're excellent for listening to music or watching films, and the yellow cones look good IMO.

With the £100 you'd save you could get a good set of headphones too, or go to the pub a few times.

3. harrycobbold thread starter macrumors member

They do look pretty sweet, but what's the build quality like, they look as though they might look a little tacky sitting next to an iMac?

4. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

They don't look too bad. I have the series Is and they fit in well with my MBP