Greetings all! This decision has been coming for a very long time, but within a month or so I am planning on buying my first Mac. I've been a PC user since the days of Radio Shack Tandy 1000. I've spent the last few days lurking at various forums soaking up as much info as I can. So I'll set the stage and then ask a couple of questions. I am a very knowledgeable PC user. Computers (and technology) have been a passion of mine since my first experience with Apple IIGS in 2nd grade. So adapting to a new OS won't be difficult for me at all. One of the reason for switching to a Mac is that I want to start a side business doing things like wedding slide shows, transferring old VHS to DVD, etc. It's not something I will start doing tomorrow, but I want to buy the computer first, then add a Cinema Display and more memory down the line. I can spend the next six months or so buying the editing programs, upgrades, etc. My budget is about $2000 to $3000 (which is pushing it) for the initial purchase. My wife and I currently have a Windows laptop down stairs for use in the living room, and a PC upstairs in the extra bedroom. We have a WiFi network using a Netgear router. Initially the Mac would be just the family computer, then gradually taking on more duties for the side business. So onto the questions. MacBook Pro or mac pro? I can initially replace the PC or the laptop. Either way this purchase will be used for everyday activity as well as for the side business. If Mac Pro, what initial configuration should I go for? Keeping in mind that I can upgrade 6 to 12 months after purchase. What about time frame? I see from the Mac Buyer's Guide that I should hold off buying either the MacBook Pro or Mac Pro. If I wanted to buy the latest model, when would that be? Sometime after MacWorld in January? What about price drops? If the new models came out in January, would the prices of every model currently on the Apple Store website drop overnight? I would be perfectly happy with the current models even if new ones came out next year. If the current models drop in price when the new models come out, will the Apple Store be the place to sell the new "old" models? I really appreciate any words of wisdom. Sorry about all the questions. Right now it's all about timing and choice of model. Thanks for the advice. Can't wait to buy my first Mac!!