Semi-New to Mac & Plea for Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nosey313, Nov 28, 2007.

1. nosey313 macrumors member

Greetings all! This decision has been coming for a very long time, but within a month or so I am planning on buying my first Mac. I've been a PC user since the days of Radio Shack Tandy 1000. I've spent the last few days lurking at various forums soaking up as much info as I can. So I'll set the stage and then ask a couple of questions.

I am a very knowledgeable PC user. Computers (and technology) have been a passion of mine since my first experience with Apple IIGS in 2nd grade. So adapting to a new OS won't be difficult for me at all. One of the reason for switching to a Mac is that I want to start a side business doing things like wedding slide shows, transferring old VHS to DVD, etc. It's not something I will start doing tomorrow, but I want to buy the computer first, then add a Cinema Display and more memory down the line. I can spend the next six months or so buying the editing programs, upgrades, etc. My budget is about $2000 to $3000 (which is pushing it) for the initial purchase. My wife and I currently have a Windows laptop down stairs for use in the living room, and a PC upstairs in the extra bedroom. We have a WiFi network using a Netgear router. Initially the Mac would be just the family computer, then gradually taking on more duties for the side business. So onto the questions.

MacBook Pro or Mac Pro? I can initially replace the PC or the laptop. Either way this purchase will be used for everyday activity as well as for the side business.

If Mac Pro, what initial configuration should I go for? Keeping in mind that I can upgrade 6 to 12 months after purchase.

What about time frame? I see from the Mac Buyer's Guide that I should hold off buying either the MacBook Pro or Mac Pro. If I wanted to buy the latest model, when would that be? Sometime after MacWorld in January?

What about price drops? If the new models came out in January, would the prices of every model currently on the Apple Store website drop overnight? I would be perfectly happy with the current models even if new ones came out next year. If the current models drop in price when the new models come out, will the Apple Store be the place to sell the new "old" models?

I really appreciate any words of wisdom. Sorry about all the questions. Right now it's all about timing and choice of model. Thanks for the advice. Can't wait to buy my first Mac!!:)

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

1) If you're planning on doing lots of video I would suggest a Mac Pro but you can probably get by with a Macbook Pro as long as you get some big firewire externals.

2) As a general rule of thumb never get the bottom of the lineup. Whether you can justify the top of the lineup is up to you. Never get ram from Apple. They rip you off. Hard drives can sometimes be a good price though.

3) I'd wait if you're looking at a Mac Pro.

4) The only price drops you will see is on Black Friday and that already came and went. Apple tends toward bundles if they need to clear out stock (and they rarely do that for computers). They do sell the older models after an update for less though, sometimes.

3. nosey313 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks NAG. Where would be a good place to buy RAM for a Mac Pro?

4. nosey313 thread starter macrumors member

Jeeze..... I just checked on RAM at Tiger Direct. It said that Transcend RAM is $99 for 2MB. So that would be $200 for 4GB. Is that right. Man, Apple really does rip off on the RAM.

5. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Not to say anything bad about the MacBook Pro (love mine) or the Mac Pro (an incredible machine) but the two things you mentioned, wedding slide shows and transferring VHS to DVD, I think you would be ok with an iMac.

Mac Pro's are incredibly powerful machines but so are the iMacs, being as they were just updated, with one of the faster processors you should be fine, people here have a tendency to exaggerate what is really necessary. But if you can afford it maybe go for it, the Mac Pro might be a bit much but you should never have problems with slow-downs. MacBook Pros are great but only consider them if you're going to be traveling with the machine (if you are don't consider anything else).

6. wacahill macrumors newbie

Hello I'm wacahill im looking for a Macbook. I would like it to have as follows a fast internet, good programs, programs for my digital camra. Also anything elce you would think is good to have for the Macbook please tell me.

Thanks Macroomers

7. Maldini macrumors regular

Maldini

Get a MBP if mobility is important, go for the IMac if not.

I have a MBP which i use for video editing..just maximize the ram and u'll be fine ;)

8. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

Agree and agree with Keubby... 24" iMac with lots of RAM and a Terrabyte firewire 800 external drive and you'll be soooo set.

9. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I strongly recommend you wait if you can help it, unless the Mac Pro will be written off as a business expense and uncle sam is the one who is really picking up the tab on it :rolleyes:

The machines are almost 18 months old.

I repeat again, the line has pretty much been untouched for 1.5 years.

What is it that a Mac Pro can do that a PC with a Intel Q6600 cannot do? Hmm hmm hmm.... hard to answer that.