Semi-rapid charging feature with 2a iPad charger removed from the 6s version?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Spy77, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Spy77 macrumors newbie

Charge times on my 6s are way slower than the 6 plus. Has anyone else noticed this?

2. epphllps macrumors 6502

Charging is still just as fast using the iPad charger with my 6s Plus as they were with my 6 Plus. Also, just as quick using 2amp car chargers.

3. cherrybombaz macrumors member

I noticed this too. Now when I plug it into my MBP, it shows "Extra operating current (mA): 500" instead of the 1600mA with the iPhone 6.

Maybe apple disabled the fast charging?

Attached Files:

4. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

I hope this is just a software thing or something. I loved the rapid charging on my 6. Fortunately I haven't run into a situation yet where I've needed to charge my 6s+ quickly but I always thought it would be there. I guess not.

5. terraphantm macrumors 68040

On my 6s plus, my macbook still shows the extra current as 1600mA

[​IMG]

6. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

i covered this already!!!! in order to charge your iPhone 6s past 1000 ma using a mac you are required to upgrade to El Capitan

i was going around telling people that they disabled the charging current for a day, then i realized it was just because it was a limitation of Yosemite

7. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

No extra operating current from my 6s Plus connected to my mid 2015 15" rMBP.

EDIT:
    I guess that explains it then. I don't think I'm going to be 'upgrading' to El Capitan any time soon. My machine works like a dream right now and none of the features appeal to me, so it's just more needless bugs.

Attached Files:

8. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

upgrade to el captain

9. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

10. Cergman macrumors 6502a

Cergman

I don't charge my phone through my computer anyways :p

11. Ev0d3vil macrumors 6502

Which MacBook Pro comes with the rapid charging port? I'm using a late 2013 13inch and I don't see any..

12. Azzin macrumors 68040

I'm a bit confused (doesn't take much!).

I understand that we now need EC to charge the 6S/+ faster, but do they charge faster when connected to a 12w charger, in the same way last years 6/+ did? :confused:

13. terraphantm macrumors 68040

yes

14. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Plugged into my kill-a-watt meter and my 6s still draws excess power over that needed to charge the battery when the screen is on or the phone is otherwise in use. Doesn't appear to have changed from the 6.

15. Azzin macrumors 68040

Ok, well I'm sorted on both counts, as I have El Capitan and 12w iPad chargers! :D

16. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

every single macintosh computer ( practically ) made since 2010 will rapidly charge any apple device when its asked

the story goes like this

steve jobs wanted to sell his ipad. the ipad design team said theres no way 1000ma or 500 ma is going to charge that ipad with its screen on. and all the radios. people say 1000ma will charge an original ipad with its screen on, but its slower. and the ipad people were like hey steve people don't want to turn off their iPads to charge them, so steve jobs told them to increase the usb current in every mac ever made since. usb 2 is 500 ma max , usb 3 wasn't even out yet , usb 3 is like 900 ma. its still less then an what the ipad wants. if you have a regular windows pc and you want to charge an ipad, you have to turn off your ipad.

so before the iPhone all macs made before 2007, like the first intel mac mini were limited to straight 500 ma
    then in 2007, the iPhone came out , those usb ports were raised to 1000 ma , i think. and then 2010 came around
    and then steve increased the usb ports to 2100 ma

the way i figure it, it was either that, or never going usb and sticking with firewire.

17. SR71 macrumors 68000

Off topic, but... Honestly, you should definitely upgrade to El Capitan. It's noticeably faster than Yosemite. Animations everywhere are sped up significantly and are much smoother. The biggest example of this is when full screening videos/apps. In Yosemite it's very, very slow. In El Cap it's much, much faster. By not upgrading you lose out on increased speed/performance and potentially better battery life, but by upgrading you lose out on nothing from what you currently are running while reaping the benefits of El Cap.

Okay, back on topic.