Semi-Stuck Pixel: What do I do next?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Randizzledante, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Randizzledante macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hey all. Finally got my MBP today in the mail - my first real Mac. I was incredibly excited. One of the first things I did was change the background to a very dark picture, and noticed a blaring and bright red stuck pixel towards the bottom right.

I've had two stuck pixels on a PSP before. I ended up doing the only two tricks I read about - playing that color changing video and gently massaging the area. One got fixed, the other became permanent.

Back to my MBP, I'm not sure what to do. Gently massaging the area seems to fix it for about an hour - then it flickers between red and fixed - then goes back to red. The color video hasn't done anything to help, but people suggest leaving it on all night to fix it.

I'm just not sure what I should do next - if the pixel is at all savable, I don't want to do anything risky, that may make it permanent. Any help would be majorly appreciated.

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

I believe Apple has a zero tolerance policy for dead pixels. I'd contact them and see about arranging a replacement laptop.

3. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

Only for iPhones and iPod Touches.

http://www.bgr.com/2010/11/03/apple’s-dead-pixel-policy-revealed/

Worth a try though, as the link suggests they can replace as good will, but that the replacement could be worse and a second replacement won't be offered.

4. Randizzledante thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Is there any way I could just send this one back for a refund, then buy a new one at an apple store?

5. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

Yeah, you have two weeks to do so.

6. Randizzledante thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, good to know. It's a shame, I love this thing so much, basically spent all day setting it up and whatnot. I almost wish the pixel would just stay stuck so that I could be more decisive about what to do. I'll give it a couple more days and see how it goes I suppose.

Any other fix tips?

7. dmo1028 macrumors newbie

Just went through the same thing with a single dead pixel on a refurbished Macbook Pro. If it had not been in the middle of the screen it wouldn't have bothered me so much. Long story short Apple says it is within spec and would not replace or repair, so I arranged a return within the 14 day return period.

Once I see the refunded amount post to my account, I will order another one and try again.

8. Randizzledante thread starter macrumors regular

I'll probably end up doing this. I already installed and registered my copy of Microsoft Office for Mac on this guy, am I screwed in regards to that now?

In the mean time, I'm going all out on this stupid pixel. Rubbing the area constantly, probably gonna leave the color-changing video on all day while I'm gone. If I'm gonna send it back, nothing to lose at this point.

9. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

At worse you might have to call them and explain you're only running it on one machine and it's been replaced due to a fault. However, last time I did phone activation (admittedly with Windows 7), I didn't even have to speak to anyone, it just asked me how many systems I was running it on (1) and then gave me an activation code.

10. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

My experience is that stuck pixels may go away but they always come back. Just return the thing and get another one. If you use Time Machine to do a backup its really painless to move to a new machine.

These are premium laptops, accept no compromises.

11. Randizzledante thread starter macrumors regular

I couldn't agree more. I'll check on my laptop once more when I get home, and then probably be giving ye olde apple support a call.