Semi-unresponsive iphone 4 - advice please

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Missjenna, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Missjenna macrumors 6502a

Missjenna

I bought my iphone 4 just about a month ago and since friday it has become semi unresponsive.

On friday, my home button was not responding. After rebooting the phone a few times, it was perfectly fine again. Today the touch screen was not responding very well. I could tap on an app and nothing would happen. Again, after a reboot, it was fine again.

My phone is jailbroken with the latest GP on 4.2.1 but I haven't installed anything recently, so I highly doubt that is the issue.

How easy is it to go to the at&t store and ask for it to be replaced? Would I have to be able to replicate the problem? I live in a rural area so there are no apple store close by. Even the at&t store is about a 35 minute drive.

2. doboy macrumors 68000

If you "unjailbreak" it and it's still unresponsive then you should get it replaced, but if "unjailbreak" fixes the problem then it's the jailbreak that's causing your issues. My home button is sometimes unresponsive, but it's due to my jailbreak since I never had the problem prior to jailbreaking it. I noticed this for both my iPhone 3GS and 4.

3. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

The jailbreak could easily be an issue. Do a clean restore and see if it still happens. I would not bring a jailbroken phone in for repair, that's like asking them to please give you a hard time.

4. Gavernty macrumors 6502

you sure about that? My home button was unresponsive at times and I got the button replaced and it works like new.... and I've been jailbroken the whole time

5. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

He's having trouble with the home button and the touch screen. It's less likely to be a hardware failure with two separate parts going bad at once. Basically, I don't think we're saying definitely don't get a replacement, we're just saying try undoing the JB first before spending the time and effort going into the Apple Store.

Besides, if he gets a replacement, he has to re-jailbreak anyway, lol.

6. Gavernty macrumors 6502

I know, I was referring to doboy's problem with his home button....

7. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Do a restore to your phone and setup as a new iPhone , but do not jailbreak it. Test out the phone for a few days. If the symptoms come back, take your phone into an Apple store for replacement or repair.
    If the phone works perfectly, you'll know it was an issue with the jailbreak.