Semitether not working

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mrblack927, Oct 26, 2011.

1. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

Hi all,

I have an iPhone 4 GSM with iOS 5.0 jailbroken with redsn0w 0.9.9b7b. I install the semitether patch from the thebigboss.org/semitether repo and it doesn't seem to have any effect. I still can't restart without doing a tetherboot. I've tried reinstalling, removing, installing, everything.

Anyone else had this problem?

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

if you boot or power off you will still need redsn0w it's a partially tethered jailbrake not untethered jb. it allows you to respring witch is a improvement from before. ;)

3. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Not correct. The BigBoss semi-tethered jb will allow you to re-power / re-boot your iPhone without connection to the redsn0w computer. When working properly, the phone, and text have been confirmed to work after a shut down and untethered repower on jb iPhone 4 iOS 5.

4. kowen14 macrumors member

5. tjb1 macrumors 68000

6. mrblack927 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

No. Do I need to install that?

7. trdspectacoma macrumors regular

no you don't need to install..... that might be the problem.. you could always do a clean restore

8. kowen14 macrumors member

no you dont..but that is what was messing up mine

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

works fine for me, tested sms and phone calls

10. Untaken macrumors member

Having custom widgets turned on in the Notification Center can cause issues with the semi-tether.

11. imotionb18 macrumors member

It works fine for me as well. I don't have any widgets installed in the notification center.

12. Shaddow825 macrumors 6502

I have read somewhat conflicting/misleading/incomplete reports about NC widgets. I have heard that having any installed and rebooting untethered will clear them from the NC and you will have to put them back once you reboot tethered. But that it will boot.

I know you are not supposed to add any to the NC while in an untethered boot.

13. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

one issue i noticed was folderenancer doesnt work it kicks a bunch out and anything inside a folder in a folder doesnt work, than on a tethered boot you have to put all the ones it kicked out back in their proper folders

14. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

You have always been able to respring with with tethered jailbreaks. Of COURSE semi-tethered refers to a complete on/off reboot.

Michael

15. Shaddow825 macrumors 6502

Understandable, as the springboard knows nothing about what folderenhancer is doing when it reboots without a jailbreak. So it prob displays them however it can.

You might look into pkgbackup along with dropbox to restore these settings when you reboot tethered, as it has the ability to back all of that type of data up and then restore it once jailbroken. Might also be a good way to restore NC widgets once you are tether booted again as well.

16. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

I would imagine folderenhancer is dependent on mobile substrate so won't survive an untethered reboot.

That is why I gave up on things like infinifolders.... too many times, like if for whatever reason booting into safe mode, folder contents were spilled out like folder diarrhea--for me to clean up. :)

Michael

17. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

good explaination, i do have pkgbackup but i have it sync to my contacts, and never thought of using the way your saying thats a great idea, ill have to look into making a dropbox account, so i would save the springboard state than restore it after i tether booted?

18. trdspectacoma macrumors regular

I thought with this when ou click on just boot tether it will still have all of your packages and information it just lets it boot a different way??

19. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

pardon?

20. Shaddow825 macrumors 6502

That's the theory :) I havent done it yet. I know the pkgbackup guy used to have a springboard saver program separately but then integrated it. You could backup everything and then just restore the springboard state stuff after you get JB again by tethering. This was my plan because I use a lot of 5 column stuff I figured it would mess all that up in a untethered semi-tether boot and I would have to restore it and pkgbackup was the way I was going to try and do it.

Yea the dropbox stuff is really nice, it backs up the data of all your apps as well if you want, even app store apps. You can selectively restore just what you want as well. Basically like icloud but when more customization.

21. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

cool when i first got pkgbackup i notices some features were disabled when i used contacts as the storage method but i wasnt conserned becasue it save my packages which was all i cared about at the time ill have to get a drop box account so i can fully utilize all the featues in pkgbackup

22. trdspectacoma macrumors regular

I thought that when you tether jb your packages are still in the memory of the phone just that it tells the phone too boot different so you get passed the apple screen..
    so in the end why would you need pkgbackup if you don't need to restore??

23. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

No no not restore the packages but restore the springboard state which is the layout of your icons

24. trdspectacoma macrumors regular

I see but there is also back board

25. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

yes i used backboard for a while it was good too