Sena Ultra Slim for 3G/3GS - review

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Queen of Spades, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

This is my second Sena Ultra Slim. I got my first one (lime green) last November. I'm using it with a 3GS.

I went with purple this time around, for a change. It took about a week to arrive via FedEx.

The purple in the picture on their website is lighter than the actual color of the purple pouch. I didn't mind, I actually prefer the darker purple, but I thought I would throw that out there. It also looks like it's soft suede-like material, but in actuality the exterior is smooth leather. The packaging was top notch, same as last time. It came in a hard gift box with a velvety pouch inside.

The fit is nice and tight without being too tight. I don't have to exert any crazy force to get my phone out, I just sort of pinch the bottom and it slides up. It has holes for the speakers and I have no issues with hearing my phone ring. The inside of the pouch is soft and velvety and does a good job of cleaning the screen when you insert/remove. It's nice and slim as its name says. I personally hate big, bulky cases, so this one was a winner for me.

As far as durability goes, I used and abused my first Sena Ultra Slim for months without it showing any signs of wear until I lost it. This is my favorite case by far for my iphone, especially if you use a IS/BSE and like a naked look when using the iPhone. Definitely recommend it to others who need protection for their iPhones inside of bags/purses.

Without further ado, the pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. daonesteven macrumors 6502

this case is great and all but i feel like i'd be more prone to drop my iphone as I am taking it in and out of the case.

but yea, it's probably the best leather pouch for iphone

3. Vanel macrumors newbie

Dropping an iphone with a Sena Ultra Slim?

Has anyone dropped their iphone on a hard surface (eg; concrete) while in the sena case?

I'm really on the wire about buying either a Sena or something like a rebelserpent, I usually use pouch/sleeve type cases, but I'm looking for a little more cosmetic protection.

I understand the sena doesn't provide actual shock protection, but I'm wondering if it has enough protection to stop the iphone from denting or scraping if for instance it's dropped on concrete, is there enough leather there to provide a good enough "cushion" so the phone won't be "cosmetically" damaged?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

4. outkast564 macrumors newbie

I've owned this case for almost 8 months now. Overall it's a great case for someone who likes the phone to be "naked" when using it. There is only minimal drop protection with this case.

I have only done very short drops with this case (1-2 feet) onto concrete. With these drops, there was no visible damage.

The insides of the case are lined with a smooth felt-like material that won't scratch your phone. The main reason I switched away from this case was because this felt-like material and the leather started to peel away from each other.

5. bmms8 macrumors 68020

i have used this case/pouch ever since i got my iphone 3g last year and i have got a black one with my 3gs. i dont think ill use any other case for the iphone for a very long time.

6. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

I have a black ultraslim case that I've also been using for the past year. I really have enjoyed it and think it's a great case. I really like the felt lining.

But like you mentioned, the leather started to peel away from the case on both sides so I'm gonna try a Capsule Rebel Serpent for my new 3GS. Should be quite a change ;)

7. Ward macrumors newbie

Ward

Piloting a miniature submarine in your brain.
    The peeling happened to me too. I solved it quite easily with a bit of fabric glue. (Or just simple craft glue) and it's been fine ever since.

8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I haven't had that issue happen yet but I love my Sena slim. It's a great case.

9. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

10. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

That looks like a great case but I'm not paying 50+ dollars for that when the Sena case is great.

11. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

It's 44.95$ US (the default listing is Aussie dollars)...the one thing i really like over the Sena is the pull tab...with the Sena I would usually push the phone by pinching the bottom...

Cheers.

-J.-

12. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

$45? I think I paid $29.99 USD for mine (black) at the Apple store two weeks ago.

13. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

That's the price for the Toffee not the Sena...

Cheers.

-J.-

14. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

Nope - I have the Sena UltraSlim in black - my second one. The first time I (for the 2G and 3G) I bought it online - don't remember the price, but it was looking a little ragged when it was time for the 3GS. I was in the Apple store (Cherry Creek, CO) and they had the exact same one - black ultraslim Sena - for $29.

15. Bradmeister007 macrumors newbie

Anyone familiar with the Sena Corsa Designer Case?

I'm thinking about getting the Senta Corsa Designer Case instead of the Sena Ultraslim because the Corsa pouch seems to afford more protection and also has a pull-tab. Does anyone have any real-world experience with the Sena Corsa they could share? Thanks!

16. JVV33 macrumors newbie

I purchased a Sena Corsa Case in black just about a week or two ago and it isn't nearly as impressive in person as it is in the photo gallery. I ended up returning it and sticking with my Sena Ultraslim.

The leather and stitching details of the Corsa makes it look kind of cheesy and cheap looking. The tab barely works because the case is so tight. The leather shell is made thicker so I'd imagine it offers more protection, but it's not nearly as elegant/clean and simple as the Ultraslim:)

17. phishie macrumors newbie

I have one of these cases as well and also love it. The felt started to peel away from the leather like others had mentioned. I contacted Sena and they said they'd send me a new one if I just mailed it in, waiting on the replacement to arrive now.

18. Atenza6 macrumors member

I ordered a white one today

I ordered a white sena ultra slim today for 25 bucks shipped on ebay for my 3gs. I have been watching reviews on youtube about this pouch and I have been contemplating whether or not I should spend more money for cases for my iphone. The reason that I want a pouch is because I recently put a skin on the back of my phone and I just want to be able to use it naked but I still want some sort of scratch protection in my pocket. Hopefully I dont end up dropping my phone with this pouch. I am currently flip flopping from the griffin reveal and the iskin solo.

19. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

Has anyone tried this case and the BOA slim case? I have a white 3GS with a Bodyguardz skin on the back and I wanted to basically use it naked except when not in use (ie: a pouch)

I don't know if it would be a hassle though :(