iPad Sena Vettra? (not Vettra ST)

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by TheIntruder, Jul 13, 2014.

1. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

Anyone have experience with the Sena Vettra?

Apparently, either it's relatively new, or an Apple Store exclusive, even though it's not noted as such. Can't find much about it anywhere, other than seeing it in Apple's stores and website. There aren't any reviews anywhere either.

The Vettra ST on Sena's website is a slightly different beast. It's got that funky half-bezel coverage, and I think a different folding arrangement.

The Vettra has a full snap-in back (no clips) embedded inside the folio. It seems to have good fit and coverage like the Smart Case, and not have the lazy, massive cutouts that make many a case look cheap and ugly. I noticed that the packaging actually has line drawings of the ST, so maybe it's just an updated version, and the packaging hasn't been updated yet.

I'm looking for something similar, and while not cheap, I don't mind if it's actually good quality leather.

The Knomo looks good, and I'm sure the leather is nice, but it's confined to the cover itself; the back is a plastic shell. For that kind of money, I'd expect full coverage, like the Sena and Apple's Smart Case. I'm also not too sure about the folding arrangement, and the bright lining on the cover, which seems to stick out, and will probably show dirt over time.

I'm not familiar with Sena's stuff in general. It looks and smells like real leather, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's revealed, over the long term, to just be cardboard covered in so-so leather from a factory in China.

2. mscann macrumors member

Actually went to the apple store yesterday just to see this case. Its nice, but not worth the cost. I didn't like the fact that you could not tuck in the case behind the ipad for a typing mode. Check out the devicewear ridge. Cost about $ 25 and is as close to real leather as any case I have seen. My only complaint about it is the devicewear company branding is a little large for my taste, but overall I think the best case I have seen if you are looking for something like the vettra syle. Also some people like the acase tip top, but I have not seen one in person

3. TheIntruder thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

Yeah, I like it, and leather, but $90 is a bit steep. I can manage to whittle it down to about the same price as the Smart Case, which gives it a slightly more favorable light, but neither are what I'd call good value.

Were it not for the lack of typing mode, I'd probably more immediately stomach the cost and get it.

My preference is for genuine leather (despite the cost).

The Kavaj cases are a little less-structured than I'd like, and placing the stitching along the edges doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Plus there are the QC issues cited in other topics.

My next stop is to see if there's anything suitable on Etsy.

I'm picky, so choosing a case is hard. The plethora of choices is daunting, but beneficial at the same time.

4. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I like! I like adjustable angles, and it would be way more stable than the Smart Case approach

5. TheIntruder thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

I took another look at the case again, and discovered that it does in fact have a typing mode.

It's not the easiest to use, because it involves lifting a flap in the rubber innards, and the tucking it against another flap/straps, but there is one. The angle is kinda high as well.

Also found that it can accommodate both landscape and portrait viewing positions, but I'm not sure how durable the rotating mechanism will be; it's also made of the thin rubber and doesn't look to be reinforced.

Just putting it out there in case anyone is curious about this case.

The Apple store worker also seems to think it's an Apple exclusive.

6. TheIntruder thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

Another update...I asked Sena support about this model.

They call it the Vettra 360 and it will soon appear on their website.

7. JonMPLS, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014

JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Just stopped out at the Apple store to look at this case. Luckily the package allows you to easily inspect the cases.

While I have really liked some of my Sena cases, this one was a surprise. The design is really nice. But every case I looked at had a warped cover. Not just slightly warped, but several millimeters (I would guess the worst was about 6mm).

Chances are some are great. It is an interesting design.

8. TheIntruder thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

I like the Sena as well, but it's kind of a shame that even if one is willing to pay $90 for a case, there is no guarantee of complete quality.

I've been looking for a quality, genuine leather case, and haven't found one that either doesn't have some design element I dislike, or isn't just a cheap, mundane case with some low quality leather covering making it "upscale."

I don't like anything covering the bezel, so that means a snap-in shell, and not a slide-in. The Toffee cases are the latter, but do have a narrower bezel, so I may consider one.

Another possibility is a book/moleskin-style case, but those have the bulky wooden frames.

The Knomo is sure to have nice leather, but the cheaper one they sell here has an uncovered plastic back shell. The Premium model is fully covered, but not stocked here, and has a different design.

Has anyone ever seen a Proporta, or have any other suggestions? I don't like the Piel Frama/Vaja designs, nor the prices.

9. joekim1026 macrumors regular