Send Command to Exit App on OSX from XP desktop?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by joncgde2, Feb 11, 2011.

1. joncgde2 macrumors newbie

Hi!

Thought I would post here to see if I might be lucky to get a response to the following issue:

I have a Mac and a XP computer on the same LAN. I would like to issue a command on the XP desktop to close iTunes on the Mac (so that I can update the library on the XP computer) and then issue another command to reopen it.

Is there anything I can do? Like initiate a terminal command on the Mac by doing something on the XP computer?

Any help would be great!

Thanks

Jon

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Turn on Screen Sharing on the Mac, then download a VNC client on your XP system. You can then use the VNC client to connect to the Mac and control its screen remotely, allowing you do do pretty much anything on it.

You could also use an SSH session and issue a Quit command to iTunes via the terminal, but VNC should be easier.

3. joncgde2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah an SSH session! That's probably the way I want to go. I'd rather have a script I can run to automate the process, since it would be one command (quite iTunes).

Do I search for SSH scripting? I'll take a look. Thanks for your help! :)

4. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

just google "terminal command to quit application os x"

I know I've seen an apple script that someone wrote a while back to create a command that let you just type 'quit' and the application name, but I couldn't find it quickly just now.

You may have to dig a bit to find it, but it's out there.