Send Do Not Track HTTP Header

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Peter Franks, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

In SL, 10.6.8, Send Do Not Track HTTP Header..can you tell me what the pros and cons are of this, It doesn't stop sites putting cookies on because they appear to be still there, so can someone tell me what it does and the benefits, because I had a problem with a site today that kept logging me out, and they told me to take that off?

2. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Out of interest, Is this not a common feature or does nobody know what I'm talking about?

3. chown33 macrumors 604

Here's what it does (or is intended to do):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_Not_Track

The implementation is left to the providers. I wouldn't be surprised if little testing had been done by providers. So if it breaks some feature in some service when it's turned on, I don't find that surprising at all.

Its effectiveness is also questionable at best:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_Not_Track#Effectiveness
    There are no legal or technological requirements for its use. As such, websites and advertisers may either honour the request, or completely ignore it.[25] The Digital Advertising Alliance does not require its members to honor DNT signals. "The Council of Better Business Bureaus and the Direct Marketing Association will not sanction or penalize companies or otherwise enforce with respect to DNT signals set on IE10 or other browsers."[26]
    The header is basically stating a preference that can be ignored at will, with no repercussions.

4. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

'Second Life'? Never used it.

But thinking this is a different question: Gathering from Wikipedia, and other sources, it would still be on questionable value. You could still set it to '1', and have the server you are connecting to, and everything your traffic passes through, ignore that setting.

The one thing that is true in the internet, there really aren't any 'standards' besides the basics, and a server might look like it's honoring your request, but in the end not give a rat's butt about it and STILL track you.

Plus that tag could signal the kind of attention that you might not want from the spooks in the government. If you catch my drift...

It's a nice idea, but since individual servers will have to implement this to stop tracking you, and there have been so many web servers that still lack updates from a whole host of zero-day exploits, and other issues, I don't see this becoming much more than a 'Gosh, that's a good idea' thing... AND How would you even know if it's being honored? How could you know? This would be like going in to vote on an electronic voting machine owned by a heavy donor to a certain political party and assuming that who you voted for was what was actually recorded for your vote. You will never know...

And chown33 beat me to it...

5. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks for your answers, so basically it's a gimmick, because you can't stop any site from following you or dumping cookies? And as to whether it keeps dumping out of logged in sites is probably not the cause. I can't remember If I ticked it or it was already ticked, I'm sure it probably wasn't and someone told me to tick it, but do the current OS still have it in Safari?