Send in IPad for replacement and risk loosing jailbreak ?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by Cosmo Kramer, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Cosmo Kramer macrumors member

I bought a 64gb white iPad on Thursday from Target, but it has two dead pixels :( In order for me to get a replacement I have to send it in the mail due to the nearest Apple store being four hours away. My question is if I send it in and takes about a week to get back do you think they will patch the jailbreak by then and update my firmware before sending it back ? Is there anyway I can save 4.3.3 firmware so even if I get a new iPad I can downgrade back to 4.3.3

2. DS3 macrumors 6502a

Jailbreaking voids the warranty even though it has nothing to do with dead pixels, you need to restore your ipad to standard firmware before you send it in.

They probably would replace/repair it anyway, but be safe.

There are some jailbreak backup apps in cydia to help you get everything set up again when you get it back, but I cant remember their names.

And yes do it as quickly as possible to make sure you dont get one with the jailbreak blocked.

3. fattire357 macrumors regular

Depends on whether they repair the iPad or just replace it.

My gut tells me they will just replace the iPad but the 4.3.4 patch, even if released, might not be applied to every unit they sell.

Saving your SHSH will not help if the unit is replaced since it will have a new UDID.

But yes, potentially they could replace the unit with 4.3.4 which would be impossible to jailbreak.

4. fattire357 macrumors regular

I know you're right when you say this but I wish Apple would just overlook the fact that it's jailbroken since being jailbroken obviously doesn't affect dead pixels...

5. DS3 macrumors 6502a

They probably wouldn't even notice, and if they did they very well may overlook it.

I just wouldnt want to take any risk of them noticing and marking it your ipad's serial number and then not be able to get it replaced if something more important goes wrong later. Especially since they will probably just send you a brand new unjailbroken ipad and use the other one as a refurb.

6. Cosmo Kramer thread starter macrumors member

Yes of course, I'm going to restore before sending it in :D