Send it to Apple or third-party company?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by TheAppleGeek, Aug 23, 2010.

1. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

The LCD on my iPhone 4 recently died out, and I am stuck with two options. One, being to send it to Apple to get a replacement one for free, or two, to send it to a third-company company to fix the phone's screen and not lose any data from my iPhone.

I'd love to have this problem fixed, but was wondering what the better way would be.

2. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

send it to apple. you can back up your iphone on itunes and not lose any info. currently you cannot buy apple parts for the 4 so you will only get it replaced with an aftermarket copy. and that will void your warranty. plus the repair will be in the $175 range cause you cannot replace just the lcd you have to also replace the screen at the same time.

3. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

+1. All you're talking about is a restore from backup. That's not really very inconvenient in the scheme of things. Why pay for something the company that made your phone will do for free?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep and instead of spending $175 get a replacement for free from Apple.

5. TheAppleGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm currently restoring my phone, and plan on talking to Apple either tonight or tomorrow.

The iPhone has a 90 day warranty, correct?

6. TheAppleGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

I went through AppleCare's online support page, and it said I had to pay a fee to get it fixed. Though, I'm waiting to see if the AppleCare rep will say the same thing.

Nothing physically is broken, it's just in the inside. Does this usually happen?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It has a 1 year warranty.
    You shouldnt have to pay any fees.
    Bring it to an apple store or call the 1800 number for applecare.

8. crawfish963 macrumors 6502

crawfish963

It's not a fee. You have 2 options.

1) You pay a deposit of $X.XX, they'll tell you how much. They send you a replacement phone and you mail back the defective phone to Apple. Once they determine it's a covered defect, your deposit is refunded.

2) You mail your phone to them (overnight if possible) and they examine it, replace it and send you the replacement, no deposit involved.

9. TheAppleGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

So no matter what, the $220 fee will be refunded? That's a relief.

Apple is calling me in about two hours, and I can get on the right track to receive a working iPhone 4, again.

10. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

NO you need to either call apple or go in because you are very confused. the $220 fee sounds like the out of warranty repair if you drop and break your phone. its $199 + tax and shipping most likely. if your phone has not been dropped you should pay nothing. if nothing else you can say you were updating the software and now your lcd is not working. this is very commen and they will just replace it.

11. TheAppleGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

12. TheAppleGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tuesday night, I sent my iPhone 4 off to Apple, via the box they sent me. Wednesday, the box had already been received and began the diagnosis. Today, the check-up had already been completed and a replacement phone is already being shipped to me, due tomorrow morning.

That is great customer service. I'm thrilled to be having my iPhone back.

13. TheAppleGeek thread starter macrumors 6502a

I love Apple.

Taking a small three day diagnosis, I now have a new replacement iPhone 4!