Send mail from PHP

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by geekindisguise, Jan 26, 2009.

1. geekindisguise macrumors 6502

geekindisguise

I don't know what I need but I want to be able to have the email alerts on my Wordpress site to work. I own my server so I can do and get to whatever I want. But I don't want to pay anything. What do I need?
    And can I have the email it sends from be my Yahoo mail. I thought I could just put all the info for it in the PHP.ini file but that doesn't work.
    Please Help! I need working email for my site soon! I don't know what I would do if I forgot a password on it.
    Thanks! :)

2. Trip.Tucker Guest

What OS is your server running? There are plenty of free options for *nix based hosts.

3. geekindisguise thread starter macrumors 6502

geekindisguise

Sadly, Windows Vista. I have it on wireless and I could never get Ubuntu working with my wireless dongle. To be exact, it is Windows Vista Home Premium. And I am using WAMP server for everything. I would really like to get it working.

Thanks! :)

4. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Tips for wireless setup on Ubuntu

Or as Trip.Tucker wisely suggested, host it offsite on a free webhost which is Linux based.

Did you setup Ubuntu as a virtual guest on your Vista box using VMware or similar? If so, even if you got it working, I would not expect the server to be very fast and responsive if the application is anywhere intensive. Offsite hosting is the best bet for alot of reasons - security, speed, data repository in a remote location, etc.

-jim

5. geekindisguise thread starter macrumors 6502

geekindisguise

All I wanted was to find out how to get a working mail server on my server, and then you start telling me about off site hosting. I don't want that. I feel like I am in more control with my own server. I host for friends too, so it makes it much easier with fixing their problems and stuff. Plus if I had to edit my site with an online editor I would go crazy! I hate those things. And I don't want to upload my site everytime it is changed either. :mad:

All I want to know is how to get an email sent from my server with PHP.
    And how to get it working with WordPress.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

That's "all?" It's actually quite involved. I gave up myself, and I rarely give up. I use Google to manage my domain-based email addresses.

7. geekindisguise thread starter macrumors 6502

geekindisguise

Everybody was talking about Linux servers when I didn't want to know anything about them. I just wanted to know how to send an email from my website. I thought someone would know, but guess not...
    :(

8. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

You may want to check out web hosting forums. You have a fairly specialized question with windows server. Most everyone around here is familiar with linux because it is open source and free.

9. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well, the thread title mentions a mail server. If you're only sending an email, and not needing to worry about receiving emails, then you don't need a email server. Instead, take a look at PHP's mail function.

You shouldn't get upset with people here just because we can't figure out what your real needs are. We aren't psychic you know.

10. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

OP: You mentioned all kinds of things, actually, from Windows to Ubuntu to PHP and Wordpress. You ignored my help on Ubuntu, and asked for help about a Windows server setup on a Mac only forum. I agree with angelwatt and others that we're not psychic. Sorry we failed you so far.

-jim

11. geekindisguise thread starter macrumors 6502

geekindisguise

I know, I am sorry. I am just frustrated because it won't work.
    I have used the mail function, but my email has Secure SMTP so it doesn't work. I have also tried PHP Mailer but it is way to complicated and I have already tried it.

Also, I didn't know there is a thread for Web Hosting. :rolleyes:

THANKS!

12. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Not a web hosting thread, a forum. They meant other forums besides Mac Rumors that are specifically for web hosting discussions.

As for handling secure SMTP, in the past I used PHP:pear mail so I'd recommend looking into that as a potential solution. There's some tutorials around like the following.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-php-send-email-via-smtp-authentication.html