Send My Location via iMessage

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Jdem2, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Jdem2 macrumors newbie

Hello and thank you in advance!

I had a friend send me their location via iMessage on Saturday evening. When I asked why they did it, they claimed to have no knowledge of doing it or even how to do it and said "the phone must have done it on its own".

Has anyone ever had this happen or even heard of an iPhone just randomly sending it's location via iMessage, on its own? I should note that this person has "Share My Location" enabled globally.

I can see if it was a button within the message, but you must tap Details within an existing conversation and then tap Send My Locationon another screen and intentionally send it. We all know that no OS is perfect, but I find it very strange that a phone would randomly send it's location in an iMessage to a random contact.

Point blank, does anyone know if it is possible for a phone to iMessage someone its location without user interaction?

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

As someone who has worked desktop support for a company, a university, and my friends and family, I guarantee you that when someone says they didn't do anything and it just happened, then they 100% definitely did something and just have no idea.

I cannot say that it is literally impossible. Of course any bug is possible. But given the vast number of iOS users, any embarrassing bug becomes news and we'd all know about it here on MR.