Send new MBP back, or get compensation money?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JepperMAC, Jun 17, 2010.

1. JepperMAC macrumors newbie

Hi.

I have received with a scratch on. It's about half mm long on the corner.
    I called able and I'm able to get either a replacement or 122,8 USD as compensation.

But my problem is that i can't make up my mind. Would you have taken the money or gotton the replacement?

If i don't take the replacement how would that affect my resale value?

What would you have done?

2. Corsairkid macrumors member

So let me get this straight: You are able to get $128 for a .5 millimeter scratch?

Take the money, no brainer. If the scratch is the size you say it is, it is hardly noticeable and your macbook will no doubt get scratched more in the future just from day to day use. Take the money.

3. Elysian macrumors member

Considering that I never worry about resale value because I simply don't care, I'd take the money. It can't be that bad. Plus, there will be many more scratches no matter how hard you try and not scratch it.

4. JepperMAC thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I'm able to get 122,8 USD or a replacement :)
    But to me it's a bit hard deciding :s

5. Corsairkid macrumors member

Take the money, your notebook will receive more scratches in the future anyways just from daily use.

6. JepperMAC thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, im not so sure..

But how much do you think it would affect the resale value?

7. Corsairkid macrumors member

I really don't think it will affect it all that much. It sounds like the scratch is really small, and like I said, you will put other scratches on it anyways throughout its everyday use.

8. JepperMAC thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, but the scratch is still noticeable.

And I'm not so sure that I'll scratch, since I'm very careful with my stuff.

9. Corsairkid macrumors member

Well is the scratch really only half a millimeter? As in, 1/50 of an inch? Or are we not on the same page with how big the scratch is? Where is the scratch located?

10. CodeJingle macrumors regular

Do one or the other, make up your mind so you can move on with your life, I'm sure you have more important things to worry about :) If you really can't decide because either choice seems as good then just flip a coin.

11. JepperMAC thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it is a half mm. :) Just measured it..

Just can't make up my mind :(

12. Corsairkid macrumors member

If it is bothering you that much, then switch it out for a new one. But a few months down the road when you notice a scratch on it, you will regret not taking the money. I know you say you are careful with your stuff, but small scratches just happen. Putting it into and taking it out of bags, jewelry bumping against it, even dust abrasions can all cause scratches without you even thinking about it.

13. Identity Fraud macrumors 6502

Take the money and get a case to prevent future scratches.

14. Corsairkid macrumors member

Until dust gets in between the case and the MB and scratches occur without him knowing :rolleyes:

15. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

A 0.5mm scratch? How did you measure this? Is that the length or the width? If that's the length, that isn't a "scratch", it's a "divot", with a nearly equal aspect ratio.

No-way you can accurately measure a 0.5mm scratch my sight alone, you'd need a magnifying glass.

16. JepperMAC thread starter macrumors newbie

of corse i can measure the lenght of the scratch with an ordinary ruler and it's about 0,5mm

17. ihonda macrumors 68000

i have a tiny tiny blemish on my macbook as well, im just gonna deal with it bc im sick of swapping them out, u cant even notice it unless u look for it but hell i may call apple and try to get some credit now LOL =P

18. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

I'm with you. I had scratches on all 5 I went though in a day (thank the lord Morgan Freedman for that best buy manager). I HATE scratches. It's true that these computers are easy to scratch, but I am also carful and don't think I will ever scratch mine. Only you can answer this question: Does the scratch bother you considerably? If it does, replace it! If it was more like $400 or $500, I might change my mind, but as a fellow perfectionist and scratch hater I am going to say it is worth it to do the exchange if it bothers you. Why should something about your brand new computer you paid so much for bother you? If it doesn't bother you much, like many on this site, then take the $128. I would suggest checking out another computer first if you trade it in.... it could save you this headache all over again.

19. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

i would replace it :]
    rather have a perfect mbp than a hundo something dollars...

20. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

I agree; this guy seems to be trolling. If the scratch is .5cm, then I could understand.

Personally if it was my company, I would say you could return with restocking fee or keep it.

You are abusing the return/exchange policy and part of the reason of high prices.

21. diablo2112 macrumors 6502

Your "scratch" is 0.5mm long? Post a picture, please! mm=millimeter. I'm still skeptical that you're providing the correct unit. 0.5 millimeter LONG? That's not a scratch, sorry. Pinhole, divot, something else, but not a scratch.

22. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

So you expect a consumer to be ok with paying for a perfect macbook pro and then not getting one?

How is it trolling to want an expensive computer that isn't scratched?

23. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Obviously you like most of the people in this thread have no concept of how small .5mm is. That is the thickness of the thinnest lead you can buy for a mechanical pencil. And he/she says this is the length, not the width.

I certainly hope the thread starter never has to buy a house or a car, because .5mm imperfections will be likely. :rolleyes:

If the worst thing about the laptop is this, he should be happy. No dead pixels, which normally are not covered unless you have at least 3 or more, No freezing CPU, Case not misaligned, etc...

24. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

This. Grab a ruler and look at 0.5mm. That is nothing. Make a dot with your pencil, that is 0.5mm. The OP is insane.

25. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

Idk, even the low end mbp costs a lot for most people, and it is a lot to throw around. A small mark in the right place can really be annoying. One of the holes for the mic is about that size. Image a dark spot like that you can't get rid of in a place you are ALWAYS looking at after you spend more money than you should have on a computer (I'm not saying this is the OP's situation, just an example). And idk if it is really that size...