Send/Receive SMS/MMS from iPhone to Mac.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MrTangent, Sep 10, 2010.

1. MrTangent macrumors newbie

Hi. I am wanting to be able to connect my Mac to my iPhone 4 via Bluetooth and when I receive an SMS/MMS to my phone it will show up on my Mac's screen; likewise I would like to be able to respond to said SMS/MMS's within this application and have it send it via my iPhone 4.

Also, the ability to show caller ID from my iPhone 4 to my Mac, and make/receive phone calls with my Mac via my iPhone 4 would be ace.

Anyone know of such an application? BluePhoneElite did this (with limited iPhone support) but unfortunately they closed up shop recently.

2. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

The closest thing I know of is that there was a widget that let you send text messages from you Mac. No relation to a connected iPhone. Don't recall the name but it is probably still available.

Looks like there are several. Here is one.
    http://www.smsmac.com/widget.php

3. hsotnicam8002 macrumors 6502

hsotnicam8002

Have a look at myphonedesktop. Its not really what you want, but worth a look.

I used to use a program called phoneagent with my SonyEriksson phone that even let me bluetooth an animated/sound MMS to the phone for subsequent sending, though the ordinary SMS went automatically with one click from the desktop. It was so convenient when at the desk.

Apple really make life difficult sometimes. I love the iPhone for its varied applications but its always been a substandard phone, literally years behind the other companies.

4. MrTangent thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I found that one while researching a replacement. It's not exactly what I wanted though. I can use iChat/Jabber to send text messages for free. That SMSMac charges, from what I read.

MyPhoneDesktop looks great. I'm going to buy it for sure. In fact, I wrote to them after you pointed it out in the hopes that they'll add the features I requested. Maybe they can pick up where BluePhoneElite left off?

I agree that Apple does themselves a disservice sometimes. I really wish there was more Mac/iPhone integration. I suppose they have a lot of fish to fry and it's all about priorities. They really need to get iChat compatible with Facetime, and get Android/WebOS/Symbian phones on board with the Facetime open source standard. I know it's not their responsibility, but pushing out the open source code would help. Hopefully they're trying to get others on board. I like Skype, but I try to shy away from proprietary systems. Anyway, I'm rambling. Thank you to both of you for your replies.