Send SMS From Mac Via My Mobile / Cell Phone Number?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aka-dapper, Oct 31, 2010.

1. aka-dapper macrumors newbie

I'm looking for a program/app that will allow me to primarily send SMS from my Mac using my current phone number. Does anyone know if anything like this exists? I can only think of something like this working in one of two ways:

Sending an SMS composed on my Mac through my mobile/cell, via Bluetooth or some other method?

OR

Using software that emulates my mobile number to compose and send SMS?

-------

I remember back in the day you could actually email an SMS to a phone by using their mobile number as a username and their network as the domain - e.g. 07123456789@orange.net. Unfortunately, because pretty much all the networks now provide email services too, doing that nowadays means they will actually receive an email at their online account instead of their SMS inbox.

Some people may wanna point out Skype...

Firstly, I know that Skype can emulate your number for outbound calls using the Caller ID Display function, but that doesn't work for SMS. When sending an SMS from Skype, even with Caller ID Display turned on, the receiver will see your Skype username instead of your number. Secondly, you have to pay for your SMS with Skype credit, not with your phone account. I'm happy to pay a reasonable one-off charge for an application, but not per message.

Some other people in the know may have also mentioned Phone Amego...

I tried that too and it's very cool how it automatically connects with your Bluetooth phone when in range with no effort at all, allowing you to make calls via your mobile, using your Mac like a Bluetooth handsfree. I thought I would be able to send texts this way too, but it's not possible. Phone Amego can send SMS, but you need a Google Voice account to do so. Unfortunately, I'm not in the USA and so GV isn't available to me.

Does anyone know anything that could help me or have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

3. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I have no idea. Never actually tried it, just remembered that Address Book had a function for sending (and receiving) text messages over bluetooth.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Just paired my iPhone with my MBP. Don't see any options to send SMS via Address Book :(

6. aka-dapper thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure that function hasn't been available since Leopard. Thanks anyway though.

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

No new Bluetooth drop down menu next to the utilities drop down in the Addres Book window, after pairing them?

Hmmm... might not work with the iPhone then, or Apple might have discontinued the option all together.

Disclaimer: I'm confined to my old non-bluetooth iBook G4 (while waiting for my 11" Air to arrive), so I'm working off memory here, which may or may not be very accurate... ;)

8. aka-dapper thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple took that out of Address Book with the release of OS X 10.5

I remember there were quite a few people on the Apple forum who were pretty pissed off about it being removed. I didn't even know the feature existed until I saw people upset about it being taken away. I can only assume that Apple thought it would impact on their iPhone sales somehow...

There was a program a couple years ago called something like "Bluetooth Cell Pro" or "Bluetooth Elite" that used to offer similar functionality to what I'm seeking, but it was very buggy back then and continually froze when trying to access Address Book contacts. Maybe it's working better by now, but I can't think of the name...

Ring any bells, anyone?

EDIT:

Okay, no matter. It was BluePhoneElite... and it was discontinued two months ago.

Awesome.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Here is one thread about what you're looking for. Doesn't sound too good though

10. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

BluePhoneElite is the sort of software which you're looking for... Unfortunately it's just been axed. So any sort of software similar to it would be perfect... I don't currently know of any though.

11. aka-dapper thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha you posted at the same time I edited. I appreciate the help though people.

Also, sorry for double-posting on the same issue. I did perform a search for this topic, promise!

When I'm at home and relaxed, I just wanna be able to use a REAL keyboard and REAL software. Is that so much to ask? Haha