send texts with native messages app, but use google voice number?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vasska, Sep 30, 2015.

1. vasska macrumors newbie

i know i can send texts with the google voice app, that show as being sent from my GV number. but sometimes i forget.

is there a way to configure the iphone's native messages app so that texts are sent from my GV number, and not from the phone's actual number?

for anyone curious, i have a work-issued phone and the number they gave me is in the area code of the home office. they plan to give me a new, local number (either a whole new phone, or they'll change it on my current phone), but i don't know when that will happen. my GV number is the only one any of my friends, family, school, etc. knows.

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Not possible in a stock iOS iPhone. There's a jailbreak tweak that's supposed to accomplish that and I think it works well if you send every text that way but I didn't have much success with a more complicated setup.

Google Voice app or Hangouts app...sorry.

3. vasska thread starter macrumors newbie

ugh, that's what i was afraid of. thanks for the info!

4. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

There is sort of a work around. When someone texts your GV acct, you'll notice it has a number that you don't have in your contacts. If you open the message, it has the name of the person texting your GV. Save that number to that contact as their GV #. If you text or call that new GV # for that contact, your caller ID/text will come from your GV account.

I hope I explained that correctly.