send video signal TO a MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Capslock118, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Capslock118 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I have a desktop PC at work and it is capable of dual screen. I can't get a second screen from my IT dept (if I get one, then everyone will want one excuse...)

The output from the desktop is DVI, the MBP has DVI.

is it possible to SEND a DVI signal from the desktop to the MBP and the MBP then turns into sort of a dummy terminal that only displays what the desktop is giving it?

I know it sounds like a waste for the MBP, but on the other hand it just sits at home while I am at work so it doesn't really make a difference.

I know there is software that would allow me to do such things over the network; but i'd rather not go through that hassle if I don't have to.

thoughts?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

DVI is directional. The DVI port on the MBP is 100% output only.

3. Capslock118 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, fair enough.

So here is another idea.

What if I had a usb-to-ethernet that would connect the desktop (primary) to the MBP.

in theory I could just remote desktop and then enable dual screen, connecting the external monitor to the DVI on the MBP.

doing so would mean the MBP would effectively be the primary in respect that I would use its keyboard and attach a mouse.

is it possible to send a second screen signal to the MBP via ethernet/network?

I found software ware that sends mutliple screens over the network; such as maxivista - however that's windows only.

Looking for a MBP client - it would be easier on resources than to have a virtual machine on the MBP exclusively to send a second screen to it. again, hoping to turn the MBP into a dummy client.

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

FYI, your IT dept may frown on this even if you run it on a private network. Home machines and and work networks and all that jazz.

Anyway from what I read it sounds like you can use this :

Air Display . Reviews in the App store are decent.

Warning : I've never tried it so I don't know how well it works.