Sending 2009 iMac to repair

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sensamic, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Sensamic macrumors 68030

Tomorrow I'm taking my late 2009 iMac to repair because of the bad Seagate drives. It's out of warranty but Apple told me they will change the drive for free.

My question is the following: do I have to give the Apple repair service the keyboard, mouse and DVD drives of Mac OS X and iLife? Or only the iMac and the power cable is enough?

Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

Only the iMac is enough, they have access to a power cable, keyboard, mouse and all the software.
    They probably simply clone your old drive to the new drive anyway, thus no reinstallation of the OS is needed.

But in any case, do a backup before going there.

3. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

nope just take the imac nothing else is needed

4. Dreamboy macrumors member

Dreamboy

I just took mine to the AppleStore for the disc change. You only have to bring the iMac, no cables or accessories.

Make sure you have one or two backups of your data as they only install the versions of OSX and iLive installed on your original HD. The rest of the data is your responsibility.

5. macthefork macrumors 6502

They'll only put the version of the OS that you were using back on your mac with the new drive. They won't restore you system to the way it was, unless you pay a little extra. Be sure you have backups of your system. It's easy to restore.

Just the iMac is all that's necessary. They likely wouldn't even take your cables, keyboards, etc. because they don't want to be responsible for them.