Sending 4GB?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by seh80, Sep 22, 2007.

1. seh80 macrumors 6502

seh80

I know this is a stupid question. I apologize if this is the wrong forum to post it in.

I purchased some software, it quit working, been troubleshooting with the company for a couple weeks now. They've decided that it can't go any farther until I sent them a file, which is 4GB in size and can't be broken up. Zipping it didn't really reduce the size either (still around 4GB). I tried putting it in my iDisk but it would not sync. I tried for almost a week. I tried burning a dvd, I have ruined several, but the burn will not take. (My iMac has always had issues burning).

Is there any other way I'm just not thinking of? It seems like all the big file upload places online have a 2GB cap.

Thanks very much for any ideas.

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

3. TimJim macrumors 6502a

you could make a torrent of it and send that to them so they could download it. transmission would do that.

4. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

For sending a file? No, it'd just be limited to his up speed. I'd probably FTP it, although a DVD would be far more efficient and less time consuming.

5. seh80 thread starter macrumors 6502

seh80

How do you FTP it? Sorry ... I'm clueless. Will go google...

I could connect my iMac and MB via firewire and transfer the file then try a burn (from the hopefully working macbook) right? I think...

6. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

7. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

8. seh80 thread starter macrumors 6502

seh80

I just did a firewire transfer over to my new macbook, and attempted to use the last of my dvds. I got this error: Click here please.

Am I doing something wrong? I mean, I can generally burn a stinkin dvd ...

I'm just at a loss for how to get this stupid file to them. Gmail isn't allowing a file this large, and honestly I don't have the money to pay for a giant thumb drive that I may or may not ever see again...

9. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

1. Why can't the file be split? This makes no sense. A multipart zip or just a raw file split has no effect on the file sent. It exactly the same once it been put back together at the other end.

2. DVDs. Possible problems. if you are using an ISO file system files are limited to 2gb, make sure there is none. And more likely are you sure you are using good media? Go here http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm and have a read on that subject. Bad DVD media causes most people DVD problems.

10. seh80 thread starter macrumors 6502

seh80

Alright ... how do you split a single file? I'll try it, I just don't know how to go about it. Thank you for the help!

11. davidg4781 macrumors 68010

There's a website that will let you do this. I heard it last week on Online Tonight with David Lawrence.

It's called www.yousendit.com .

From what I gather, you upload it to their site, email the guy the link, and they download it. I believe it's free for casual users, but I'm not sure what their definition of casual is.

12. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

100Meg is their definition. ;)

Even the Super-Duper-Business-All-Singing-All-Dancing-Pro package is only Max file size of 2Gig.

However you do it, its going to be limited by your upload speed. Bittorrent is the best way I'd say.

13. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14956

Only a little download, not sure if it's what I used recently, but it was something like this. Very easy, but as your file is so large you'll have to split it into quite a few chunks. You don't say what the file size limit on your mail a/c is, but knowing this will obviously help.
    Tell them what app you used to split it with, it may help them join it back together - 'split' is a unix command, so all the splitting apps are really just front-end GUI's to save you having to go into Terminal.

14. hyddan macrumors member

Shakespeer! Create a hub and let them log into it and download from you.

15. thetacoman macrumors newbie

What's wrong with keeping it simple and just using ftp? Unless you or the other guy has dialup, there should be no issue with that. I can't understand why the easiest solution is being overlooked.:confused:

16. jtown macrumors 6502

Ask them for suggestions. This can't be the first time they've made this request so they must have some sort of process in place to handle the transfer of large files. They'll probably have you send it to their ftp site but they may have another method. They should be able to walk you through it step by step. If not, escalate until you get to someone who can help you.

4 gigs is a lot of data and difficult to transmit cleanly. Can't email it. File system limitations make moving it difficult. However, if they're in the business of writing software that generates 4 gig files, they've certainly worked out ways to handle moving it around. Find out what their method is.