Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jive

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
Scotland
What's the best format to send a design to a tshirt printers? A hires JPG? PSD?

Basically, the image (the logo from www.monochromemusic.co.uk) is going to be put on orange tshirts (for crew etc) and I have them all on different layers in Photoshop...So yeah, what format is the best?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Why don't you ask them?

If it's silk-screened, they'd probably rather have separations run out as PDFs or if it's a transfer a TIFF would do the trick. You may even have to provide it in RGB rather than CMYK.

I would ask them. Just to be sure.

L

Lau

Can you get hold of the original vector/illustrator image? It would be crisper as an .eps or even a .pdf from the vector file if possible.

Having said that, your best bet is to phone the printers and have a word and see what they would prefer. If you explain what you have, and what you want to do, they're usually really helpful about what to use.

Edit: beaten by the guru! :p

jive

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
Scotland
That's the thing - it's through someone else for them. Last time they used a really low res version and scaled it - t came out pretty crisp. I'll get the guy to ask for next time.

L

Lau

jive said:
That's the thing - it's through someone else for them. Last time they used a really low res version and scaled it - t came out pretty crisp. I'll get the guy to ask for next time.

It's probably worth finding out which printer he's using so you can speak to them directly, especially if you intend to do more in the future. Even if he is the guy who gives the file to the printer, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to speak to them throughout the process.

jive

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
Scotland
It's a very simple b&w design, so I just saved it as .jpgs of the size that they're needed and at 300dpi.

They should be able to work with it quite easily.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
If it's only a one color screen a lot of formats should be acceptable. If it's multicolor they're gonna want something with layers. Illustrator would be best, but they could probably easily handle a .psd too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.