Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Is it possible to send a fax from your iphone.

i.e. Send a document/pdf from your phone to a fax machine?

Any apps for that?
Have you had any experience with that app?
How much do they cost?

What do you recommend? (Hopefully a free or not to expensive one!)

Thanks.

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
I just came across a program called "eFax".
It has a 30 day trial. Going to give it a try.

But i still I want to hear from you. Get your opinions on this.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Faxburner

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Faxburner

I tried fax burner. And it looks good as long as you want to only send images as a fax. Can't send a PDF of DOC.

With eFax, you need to be American. Being a Canadian, that one doesn't work for me either.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I use "fax,print,share light", it's the best one I've used, though to send faxes it isn't free, it gives you credit for the first 2 faxes you send to try out, but after that you must buy the credits.

Also, why make fun of the guy who has to send faxes? I'm sure it's not his preferred method to send documents, but has to use it because the other person on the other end still uses fax.

jeans94621

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (iPhone; Opera Mini/6.1.15738/25.697; U; en) Presto/2.5.25 Version/10.54)

Try Scanner pro this app is great you can fax for 99 cent a fax not per page and you can put it in pdf file and mail it. I use this app all the time. It has saved me a many of times when I forget to mail something and need to get it there fast. The app is 7 dollars but well worth it.

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Thanks for all the pointers guys. I will seriously have to give some of these apps a try. But in most cases seems like I will have to spend some money (which is okay if it does what you need it to do)

Leer

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2014
Hello 1980, have you met Mr. Email?

Yes. Have you met insecure Mr Email. The one responsible for data theft on a massive scale due to its 'open to the hackers of the world' nature? It may be 1980s but there is still a need for it and it's about the most secure electronic transmission method there is, but you go ahead and send your bank details or credit card or birth certificate details by email. Hope you never get spyware on your computer, or the person you send it to. Even once deleted from your "sent items", spyware will locate and exploit this info as it's never truly gone unless the sending and receiving computers are formatted!

Last edited by a moderator:

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Yes. Have you met insecure Mr Email. The one responsible for data theft on a massive scale due to its 'open to the hackers of the world' nature? It may be 1980s but there is still a need for it and it's about the most secure electronic transmission method there is, but you go ahead and send your bank details or credit card or birth certificate details by email. Hope you never get spyware on your computer, or the person you send it to. Even once deleted from your "sent items", spyware will locate and exploit this info as it's never truly gone unless the sending and receiving computers are formatted!

Yup, you proved me wrong, 3 years later.

Bravo.

PeterHoltan

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2015
Yup, you proved me wrong, 3 years later.

Bravo.

It's another year later and while saving107 may be too modern for faxes, his sarcasm clearly reveals his ignorance regarding email, privacy and security. Have you ever noticed that when you sign up for electronic statements, you don't actually get an attached statement in your email's inbox, but rather you get a link to the institution's secure server over an SSL connection? There's a reason for that.

Some places, e.g. some hospitals I deal with, don't have email. So you have to fax forms, etc.

It's not necessarily that some hospitals don't have email, but it's that email is not secure and therefore not HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) compliant. There are HUGE fines for compromising PHI (Protected Health Information). Because of that, some hospitals may be EXTRA EXTRA careful regarding their email policies.

I'm here because I'm an insurance agent and I'm on the road, away from my home office and fax machine. I'm searching for a secure way to fax a document containing PHI from my notebook computer using my iPhone connected via USB as a fax machine. Anyone got any suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.