Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blckout20

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
CT
My friend has a large video he made that I need to get as a sample video for a project I'm working on. What would be the easiest way to send this 7 gig file?

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
blckout20 said:
My friend has a large video he made that I need to get as a sample video for a project I'm working on. What would be the easiest way to send this 7 gig file?

sending a 7 gig file and the word "easy" don't mix.....

if it were me, I would have him use a program called "split and Concat" and have him split up that big file into many smaller pieces, and send them via rapid share.com or even just over iChat....when you get them all, put them back together with split and concat...but still, that's gonna be a mega chore.

if you and your friend aren't going anywhere for a while, I guess you could get him to send the whole thing over iChat, and it would take a few days

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
good suggestions from quigley. the other benefit to splitting it is that if your network (or your friend's), like many i've used, tends to hiccup, then it'd be best to not have it finish transferring 6.95 GB of the file and then stop, and not be able to resume... sometimes ichat seems to be able to resume, but not always. so better safe than sorry i'd say.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
kingjr3 said:
I was expecting someone to respond, thats so 90s!
not so 90s actually, I did that a few times to help someone. Fedex etc. is a few days faster and slightly more reliable than file transfers.

i actually recommend using bittorrent, because it's simple and also you can hash check automatically to make sure all the pieces of the file you have are valid.

blckout20

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2006
CT
Thanks for the suggestions...yea he is going to put it on dvd and send it to me because we decided that would be the easiest. I don't know what i was really thinking trying to transfer this file :rolleyes:

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2005
just when i thought that yousendit can do it.

it's possible, with megaupload, yousendit (the one i like to use), and rapidshare and split it up in 10 different rar files

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.