Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
I remember a fun little feature of my old phone where, if you didnt want to ACTUALLY talk to someone, you could leave a voicemail withuot calling them be calling your voice and choosing the SEND MESSAGE option

Is this possible with the iphone. I tried calling myself and hitting # but that didnt work.. I really HOPE this is possible

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
Well, i have ATT and so does my mom, and i am able to do this through her phone, but not through mine!! with hers, if you call yourself and hit # it brings you to the mail messaging system.. it SEEMS that the iphone does not have this system because it has the visual voice mail.. What you would normally do in the old system (record a greeting, listen to a recording, ect) is now on the visual vm system..

So is there a way to do this?? I tried going into the contacts too to see if there was a "send SMS message" and "send voice message" but that wasn't an option either.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Maybe you should try asking ATT. Here in Portugal we can still do that but we don't have visual voice mail. So at least it's not a problem with the iPhone. Maybe because of the visual voice mail there's a different way to do this.

nparmelee

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2008
If you dial your number from your iPhone it takes you directly to the voicemail system, at least mine just did.

lindsayanng

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 4, 2008
East Haven, CT
yes.. I said that.. if i dial my number, all i can seem to do is leave a message for myself.. I tried dialing my number and as it did bring me to my voicemail, it wouldnt go to the menu options when i hit the # key.. So is there a different key to hit while my greeting is playing to get me to that?? I never set up a password for the iphone voice mail because of the visual voice mail.. Which is what makes me think that for some reason, iphones on ATT do not have the typical voicemail system that other phones on teh ATT network have..

So has ANYONE done this? Does anyone know a way...

Obviously if i dont get an answer i will go to my local ATT store, but i dont really feel like it.. I figured i could ask here..since that is what this forum is for.. in some sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.