Sending and receiving MMS

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by stevom, Mar 15, 2008.

1. stevom macrumors newbie

I'm using a jailbroken and unlocked iPhone on O2 in the UK..

I've been trying to use SwirlyMMS to send/receive MMS.. I've checked that my settings are correct however when I try to send a message nothing actually happens. I haven't been able to receive them either.

When I send, the little rotating wheel appears, I assume to show that it is processing, but after that the application just closes and I hear nothing more from it!

Please help, someone! I really would like to be able to use this feature.

Thanks!

2. friekunater macrumors 6502

why jailbreak for mms?

if you want to send an MMS, you dont need to jailbreak. you can even do it from an iPod touch. you go into your pictures and email one to one of the following addresses:

for US Cellular - number@mms.uscc.net

for Verizon - number@vzwpix.com

(number = recipient's 10-digit cell phone number)

you can find numbers from other carriers online

they will recieve it on their phone and its free to use (for you at least)

3. stevom thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, I knew about this method, however I'm in the UK and I have not been able to find the relevant email addresses for the UK networks. I've asked around but no success as of yet. I'd like to be able to use this app though -- I know that some people are having success with it, albeit on other networks or in other countries.

4. friekunater macrumors 6502

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

6. stevom thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your message.

I have since upgraded to the new version of SwirlyMMS (0.3.6 I believe) and I am now able to receive MMSs fine. However, I've had reports from the people that I've tried sending to that they either didn't arrive at all or that the recipients received a 'incompatible format' message instead of my MMS.

Any idea why this could be? All my settings are correct and in addition I have tried sending a couple to myself and they have arrived perfectly.

Thanks again!

7. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

No, I'm afraid that I'm waiting for someone to tell me that. Can you read the message that arrives with your MMS? I can find the image that arrives in a folder and view it using MobilePreview. However, the message is in an associated text file in the same folder, but I can't read it.

8. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I've found the answer to reading the message that comes with an MMS: download MobileTextEdit from Installer.

9. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

OK!!! I've just successfully sent an MMS on o2 PAYG by changing the "o" in "o2" as in here: MMSC: mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002, to a capital "O" to read "O2".

I got the standard Apple "swoooosh" as it was sent, and the sent message appeared in the SwirlyMMS message list.