Sending Audio to Soundtrack Pro requires I save a different version every time

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Ace.of.Trades, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Ace.of.Trades macrumors newbie

Hi, all,

I'm editing a series of clips into a video in FCP. I've finalized the order of the clips and all. Let's say I had three clips, #1, #2, and #3. My video has pieces of each of the three clips all over the place, from cutting and rearranging.

Let's say clip #2 has really bad background noise. For the first piece of the clip that's in my timeline, I right click the audio and say, "Send to > Soundtrack Pro Audio File Project." I then save the audio file as a .stap, and I get taken to Soundrack Pro where I can reduce the noise.

However, when I get to the second piece of clip #2 that I have in my timeline, the noise is still there. Even though I told Soundtrack Pro to reduce the noise across the whole audio clip (not just the selected piece for my first bit in the timeline), the noise reduction didn't get applied to all the rest of the clip #2 pieces.

I could just go to each of the pieces of clip #2 that I have in the timeline, but then it asks me to save each little audio section as a new file (otherwise, the original one gets overwritten). This would be fine if each "Send to" created the exact length of clip that I have in my timeline, but no, Soundtrack Pro imports the entire length of the audio of the entire clip #2.

How can I figure out how to apply one noise reduction to the entire audio clip and have it translate to the FCP timeline in every place where I have pieces of that audio clip?

Thanks!

2. cgbier macrumors 6502a

Why not just sending the whole, uncut clip to STP, and cut it later?

3. Ace.of.Trades thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, yes, that occurred to me only after I had cut everything up. It's a little late for that now. I'll definitely do that in the future, but for now, I was trying to find a way to fix this problem for this particular project.