Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockmonkey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
So I need to send big video files that I edit on my macbook pro to my iphone and then have the iphone upload it to a FTP. I have a number of apps that almost help me but I can't quite figure this out...

The goal is be able to edit a video on the move and upload a 25-35mb file to a FTP all while on the move without a local Wi-Fi network. I have the apps called "air sharing" and "ftp on the go" as well as "drop box" that all should do the trick but it is super confusing to get them all to work together.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

MurphyM

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
What did you end up doing? It looks like ftp-on-the-go has what you need from what I've read. Air Sharing seems to lack the piece for uploading files to the cloud.

I don't think Dropbox does what you want either. It would be nice to put a large file on my iPhone when home and then upload it to Dropbox while I'm somewhere with fast upstream speed.

I'm probably going to try ftp-on-the-go for that purpose. The files will end up on my web host rather than Dropbox which is where I want them, but it's good enough.

Flhusky

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Florida
Rube Goldberg anyone?
Sounds like your doing this; correct me if I'm wrong(i'm sure you will)
Shot Video on iPhone -> upload to MBP -> edit on MBP -> download to iPhone -> post to FTP site via iPhone

Why not?
Shot Video on iPhone -> upload to MBP -> edit on MBP -> post to FTP site via MBP

OR
are you doing this;
Shot Video on video device-> transfer to MBP -> edit on MBP -> download to iPhone -> post to FTP site via iPhone

again why not?
Shot Video on video device-> transfer to MBP -> edit on MBP -> post to FTP site via MBP

You seem to already have the ability to remote connect to your MBP to edit the file so why not just transfer it from there?

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
What did you end up doing? It looks like ftp-on-the-go has what you need from what I've read. Air Sharing seems to lack the piece for uploading files to the cloud.

I don't think Dropbox does what you want either. It would be nice to put a large file on my iPhone when home and then upload it to Dropbox while I'm somewhere with fast upstream speed.

I'm probably going to try ftp-on-the-go for that purpose. The files will end up on my web host rather than Dropbox which is where I want them, but it's good enough.

Drop box may work for you if it's a supported file format. I haven't checked to see how well the "bookmarking" of items is. That's where it downloads it so you can use it locally.

What I do is this: My phone is jailbroken so I have Terminal access from my device. I have my iMac at home with SSH server running and I use DynDNS to make it easy to access. I just use the command line and SFTP to my home computer and get any file I want. :D Works great for me.

Curious though how things turned out with you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.