sending files in msn

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ksabek, Oct 1, 2008.

1. ksabek macrumors member

hey when my friends in windows live chat send me files mainly music files it takes ages to receive like more than 40 min!!!
    But my other downloads from limewire and safari are actually fast so I was wondering is the problem from windows live or some settings of my mac?!
    thnx

2. pyr0sphere macrumors regular

Transfers are also quite slow for me using Adium

Why don't you guys just send as attachments through email?

3. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

I have wondered about this for ages. Its not just MSN neither, if I use Skype to transfer to a Windows user it'll take half an hour to transfer five or six megabytes. If I use Skype to transfer between Macs, it takes less than five. MSN:Mac seems to have the worst transfer times though.

I have a sneaking suspicion MS may be penalising us for not using their precious OS. But thats mainly because I am paranoid when it comes to MS.

4. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

I believe its to do with with the poor msn client.

In windows MSN can send files directly so its fast.
    On the mac version the files go through MSN's servers and so its stupidly slow.

5. tiggermac macrumors newbie

Hello

I've got my macbook a few months ago..and I encountered the problem of receiving files through MSN Messenger for MAC.. my contact from MSN sends me 10 mp3 files, and after 20 mins the transfer bar indicator doesn't seem to be moving still ..I can't receive zip files too over msn..
    have no problems with my previous notebook which runs on windows..

does other IM applications like adium provides better file transfer rate..or they're all that slow as long as its transferring between a windows and Mac machine?

Thanks!:)