Sending files to multiple devices

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by imaccooper, Feb 25, 2015.

1. imaccooper macrumors regular

imaccooper

I have looked around the Internet and can't seem to find anything on this subject. Basically, I want to have a host device (my iMac or iPad or whatever is needed) that can send a file (pdf) to several devices at once. I don't mind buying additional equipment if it's needed I am just not sure what to get.

I would like to send to at least 100 devices at once (mix of android, iPhone and iPad), but I can benefit from sending to a dozen or so if that's all that is possible.

I know that there are apps that are capable of doing this, but I would like to avoid them if possible. I would simply like to send/broadcast a file via Bluetooth or wifi or whatever so that people could download it.

If anyone has any ideas of software that I need to get or hardware I need to buy, I would appreciate it.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't know of any app that can do that, but a few alternatives are emailing or using a cloud service like Dropbox and sharing a link.

3. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

If by "send" you mean that the file will automatically appear on their devices, without using email or a web browser? Or would, as already mentioned, sharing a link, posting it on a private web page, or sending an attached file via email be acceptable?

If you want the first, you're asking a lot - no app, multiple platforms, and (presumably) over-riding normal security measures. The notion that there is equipment that could do this is... interesting.

However, the second solution is standard operating procedure for the web. Everyone has an email account and everyone has a web browser. Email the link, and/or post it to a web page. If you need to present it simultaneously to these people, perhaps a meeting/conferencing service like GoToMeeting would serve your needs - an app is typically required, but it's provided by the service, you don't have to create one. Take advantage of any number of services that allow you to mass-mail or post a file that can be viewed/downloaded from a web page. There's no need for equipment - the service provides that.

Distribution of documents is one of the fundamental capabilities of the Internet. It goes back to Day One. With all the many methods available, at least some of which you're exposed to every day (including this message board, which allows the uploading of files so they can be downloaded by people reading the posts)... Are you envisioning something that you're not quite describing? What aspects of the methods you know about make them inappropriate choices?

4. imaccooper thread starter macrumors regular

imaccooper

I don't want it to simply appear on somebodies device as that would be a pretty serious security problem. I am thinking more along the lines of making it available to view/download.

The whole point of what I am asking is because I want to be able to share a pdf to several people without having to know their email addresses, dropbox accounts or have them have to look on a particular website. The idea is that I want to provide something for people to be able to download instead of having to give them paper.

It is not unlike when you go to a play or concert or something and they give you a piece of paper or book or something that gives you details about the people or about what they are doing. (This is not what I am doing exactly, but it is essentially the same) I want to be able to provide that resource to these people for download on whatever device they brought with them (probably their phones or tablets).

As I said initially, I am aware of several apps and different things that can do it, but I want to know if anyone has read about/encountered/used something that can do similar to what I am talking about. Broadcasting a file (or however you want to say it) so that people can choose to view/download the file if they would like.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They can't download anything to their devices unless you give them a source to download it from. That means a web address that you can give them, whether that address points to a website or to a public Dropbox folder.
    Please name such an app, as there is no way I've ever heard of that this can be accomplished, without using a web address, or email or message to their devices.

6. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Thanks for the explanation.

Are you trying to distribute this only to people with whom you have face-to-face contact? In that case, it's similar to handing out a theater playbill. A technology like AirDrop in iOS/OS X will work - you have the document open on your device, you press Share, people nearby who also have an iOS device/Mac and have AirDrop activated will be asked if they want that document. Android also has the equivalent, but the two platforms don't speak to each other - there is no universal solution.

If you do not have face-to-face contact, I think there's a fundamental flaw to equating this with handing out a theater playbill. How do you put the playbill into their hands if they are not present at the theater? The answers are much the same whether the document is a sheet of paper or a digital file - mail/email, post it on a bulletin board/post it on a web page, tell people how to obtain a copy, tweet the link to your followers, post it on your FaceBook page, get mentioned in the press....

Could you explain why you don't want them to "look on a particular web site," yet do want to give them a download link? If you mean that you don't want to leave discovery to chance (by posting a web page and doing nothing afterwards to promote it), that's understandable - you'd rather push it into their hands in some form. But from a technological standpoint, whether a link triggers a download or opens a web page is a very narrow distinction.

Bottom line, if you want to reach 100 strangers, you need a method that all or nearly all will be able to use, with a minimum of bother. There are only two nearly universal methods of doing this on smartphones, tablets, and laptops - email, and web page. And even then, people have preferences. "Send me email and I'll reply with a link. If you'd rather not share your email address, go to my web page."