Sending from Mail on New iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by agrats84, Nov 30, 2007.

1. agrats84 macrumors member

I just bought a new 2.0 GHz iMac yesterday and am having trouble sending mail I am confused because I set up my .mac account and it also asked me for my gmail account. I would like to send and receive emails through Mail for my gmail account...this is the point of Mail right?

But my bigger concern is that I cannot send from Mail. It comes up with something like, "cannot connect to the SMTP server." I have checked the preferences and SSL is checked...but do not know what other settings I need to configure. What do I need to do to make this work?! Also, once I am able to send, will it come from my gmail or .mac account?

:confused:

2. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

have u set up both the .mac mail and googlemail properly on the mail app?

3. agrats84 thread starter macrumors member

When I first set up Mail, it just asked me for my gmail email and password...I dont remember having to do anything else...maybe I did? How can I change this under account preferences?

4. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

i am new to macs so im not sure but i have 2 email account set up on mail and when i compose an email

under the subject line i can select which email address it it sent from and also the smtp server i want to use.

to check ur smtp is right go into mail

preferences

acounts

outgoing mail server

edit server list

and make sure the one for google mail is smtp.gmail.com