Sending iMessage via Siri on Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by silvetti, Apr 4, 2016.

1. silvetti macrumors 6502a

silvetti

Hi!

New Apple Watch owner here.
    First thing I went to try was to send a message to my girlfriend via Siri as I usually do thru Siri on the phone.
    I said to the watch: send a message to my girlfriend should I buy apples ?
    Siri showed ok on the screen and that she would send unless I clicked do not send.
    After that I went on the Messages app on the phone and this message was sent as a SMS and not a iMessage (this cost me money).
    Did I do something wrong ?

Thanks!

2. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

If the message is green it means the receipient is out of cellular service at the moment. She may be in blind spot.

3. sean000 macrumors 65816

sean000

I think you need to add her email address as an 'Icloud" address to her contact entry. Also have her make sure she has iMessage set to accept iMessages at either her cell phone number or email address.

Sean

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Settings > messages

Turn off send as sms

No need to add email addresses or any thing else.

5. silvetti thread starter macrumors 6502a

silvetti

I just did a test and if I say send an iMessage it works as it should, if I say send a message it went thru sms. Weird... Maybe I need to restart both devices (haven't since I got the watch).

6. silvetti thread starter macrumors 6502a

silvetti

Scratch that. I just tried again send messages and it worked. Not really sure what happened the first two times :) anyway issue resolved :)

7. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

green means that they do not use iMessage and its a real text message, i didn't hear about the out of range before

8. gwhizkids macrumors 68040

gwhizkids

This happens, not when the recipient is out of cellular range, as stated above, but when either you or the recipient, or both, does not have a data connection (you might still be able to place calls). Your message travels from your watch to the phone via Bluetooth (or in rare cases, wifi). But if you or your recipient can't transmit/receive data, the phone reverts to sending the message as a standard SMS rather than as a data derived iMessage. It might have been as simple as one of your being inside a building shielding the LTE signal, but still able to get the voice signal.