sending Imessages overseas?

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by rockey95, Jan 20, 2012.

1. rockey95 macrumors newbie

I'm new to Apple and wanted to ask a quick question, i have had my Iphone 4 now for about 4 days and have relatives in Norway and some of them have Iphones. When i Imessage them will i get charged the ATT international text rate or how does something like this work differently than sms?
    Thanks
    Rockey95

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It is not an SMS so you will not get charged for an SMS. Of course if the message got sent as an SMS for some reason (you or they were off their data network but on the cell network) you would get charged for the international SMS.

3. rockey95 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response, i just was not sure of how Imessage worked.
    Thanks

4. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

iMessage works regardless of the location of the parties involved. I'm overseas all the time and use it exclusively with my family while gone.

5. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

6. johnjmapp macrumors newbie

johnjmapp

in the setting, change this

make sure you have set the following

in the setting, find message, turn on iMessage.

And when you type the receiver contact in the SMS box, if the send button turn to blue, then you are sending imessage and it will send as normal data. not long distance sms.