Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krionis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
I dunno if this goes in buying tips but i didn't really know where to put it.

So here's the situation. My MBP won't work anymore. Whenever I turn it on the front light thing flashes and the screen won't turn on and it won't boot up. I took it in to our local apple certified retailer who told me after a day that they couldn't fix it cuz the oxidation indicator showed that something may have been accidentaly spilled on it and if they sent it into apple like that apple would declare this and it wouldn't be covered by warranty. They said I had to send it in because that way apple would be less likely to deem it my fault for some reason. However when I called apple they told me I was out of my phone service protection and they had to charge me 49.99 just for them to tell me how to send it in and then it would cost more once I actually sent it in. They don't know about the oxidation and I'm still under warranty (it's only been 9 months) so i don't understand why that guy would say it would cost for them to fix it.

Basically I just want to know if theres any way for me to send in my computer to apple without being charged fifty bucks for them to tell me how to send it in. I'm willing to pay for the repair itself if they deem it my fault.

Krionis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
not even close, there aren't even any in my state. thanks though.

kajitox

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2007
The problem is that that oxidation whatever thing probably makes the people at Apple think you spilled something, and accidental damaged caused by the user (as opposed to faulty parts, etc.) may not be covered by warranty, in which case they will either charge you to send it back, or they will charge you to fix it...or both.

Have any relatives that live near an Apple Store?

gameguy3001

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2007
Saskatoon, SK
if you phone apple and tell them that you know its a hardware issue and you want to send it in for repair. they shouldnt have to charge you $49 for the ASL.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.