Sending in refurb iPhone 5 for repair

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by casjohnr, Jan 15, 2014.

1. casjohnr macrumors regular

Hi,

I recently sent my original iPhone 5 in for repair (Just before Christmas). It was replaced with a refurbished iPhone 5 however unfortunately the refurbished unit has a problem with the touch screen which I believe to be hardware after several restores etc (The fact it doesn't work correctly during the initial setup screen of a clean iOS 7 install suggests so anyway!)

Anyway when I put the serial of the refurb in on the Apple site, it says my coverage has expired (This would be correct for the original iPhone 5 sent in) however I would expect there to be a 90 day limited warranty on the one they have sent to me in case of defects such as the one I've got!

Any ideas?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Call Applecare and explain the situation. Replacement units have the remainder of the warranty or 90 days, whichever is more.

3. Thomas card macrumors member

Just a tip , if your on your 3rd replacement 5 through the mail with AppleCare , you might want to mention getting a new phone and I mean brand new because that is apple policy that after three refurbs they must provide you with a new device , I just went through this same ordeal and guess what , they do not make any new iphone 5 and they didn't have any new in stock and so I got upgraded to a 5s in the same size just white and silver , I doubt they will have a new 5 to give you because they said they had none and I had the same manager for all three of my replacements so that might have helped me

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Apple has no such policy. It's at the discretion of the Apple store manager to do this as a customer goodwill for those with bad devices (unless they're anal-retentive repeat replacement offenders).

5. Thomas card, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2014

Thomas card macrumors member

I'm not going to argue with you just please do me a favor and call AppleCare and just for the hell of it ask them about that policy before you tell me I'm wrong because that's what the manager told me that is was policy , as far as calling people anal retentive , I'm sorry but when I pay over 500 bux for a device and the top button stops working and the refurbs they sent look worse than the original than hell yea I'm calling them back , no need to call people names bro , you might call me anal retentive but I call you rude my friend , I was simply trying to help out the poster and make sure he knows the POLICY.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

My sister is an Apple store manager so I'd know.

Anal-retentive is the correct term for what many confuse as OCD and is not a name calling.

7. Thomas card macrumors member

I'm just telling you what Mary whitfield of AppleCare told me and she is much higher up than your sister , it might not be policy for in store swaps but through AppleCare through the mail she told me it was Infact policy !!!

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Apple can do this at their own discretion, and they do, but there is no documented policy that they have to follow.

9. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

If OP goes to the exact same store as "Thomas Card" maybe he can also get an iPhone 5S to replace his regular iPhone 5, but I still doubt it. Surely they've got some refurbished 5's (not 5S) in stock to replace the now discontinued model.

Tom was/is probably just being anal retentive (not calling you names.. Google the definition) and is in tight with the employees at the store, hence him getting a newer model.

For anyone else reading- do NOT expect a free upgrade. Just because one person out of a hundred thousand gets an upgrade does not mean it's standard practice. If it were, everyone would be breaking their phone to get the new model.

Apple is not in the business of giving away new models for free, they are in the business of selling them for profit. Period.

10. Thomas card, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2014

Thomas card macrumors member

Before posting please read what I actually wrote , I didn't go to any store and I'm not in with any employees , I had problems with my original 5 and called AppleCare and I asked to speak to a manager and I got a woman named Mary whitfield , the refurbs she sent me had issues of there own and if receiving phones with scratches and dead pixels makes anal retentive then I guess I am but I work hard for my money and I expect what I paid for but anyway after number 3 she told me ok we'll now we have to give you a new device because that's how the policy works and she called me back that night and informed me of the upgrade to a 5s , no I didn't ask for it , the policy was brought to my attention.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Back to topic. Replacement iPhones don't always show the warranty online so take it to an Apple store and they'll be able to service it if it's been within 90 days.

12. blarivee macrumors 6502

You should still have the paper that they give/email you when you did the warranty exchange. On the warranty check website there is contact info to correct warranty dates. Send the paper in and they will take care of it.