Sending Large Files Between Two Macs Over The 'Net

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by duncyboy, Apr 27, 2010.

1. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

H'lo

Me and my sister are looking for a way to swap files, between our Macs, over the Net.

I have no idea about FTP or Transmit and I'm not sure what our best method or app should be?

We're both running OS X- I'm on Snow Leopard, she's on Leopard*

My sister has two boys and a little girl. Shortly after buying our respective Macs, I bought an HD camcorder and my sister bought a very good DSLR. So I have lots of HD videos made with iMovie for her and she has tons of pics to send me. We both have our own back-ups of course but neither is proof against fire or theft to be honest. I know we could swap them on a large USB stick or a portable drive but we don't always see each other and she's very busy.

So I was just wondering if there's a way for us to swap files. I had considered a service like Dropbox- that way we could both upload files safely over the Net and copy each others to our respective computers. Do services like Dropbox allow this? If not, is there a Mac app that would allow us to send and receive these files directly?

Thanks, all, for any advice. 'tis gratefully received.

Duncyboy :)

* I did actually buy her a copy of SL but haven't gotten around to installing it yet. Sorry, Sam :eek:

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

DropBox is probably your best bet at the moment. Or MobileMe/.Mac.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

System Preferences -> Sharing -> Turn on file sharing -> Add folder where the movies are

Then your Mac should be seen in your sis' Mac's Finder, just click it and connect and she can then watch the movies over net and the movie is still in your Mac, not hers

EDIT: Oh, you don't live in the same house don't you? :p Then DropBox or other online media hosting is better option. BTW, you can upload them to e.g. ImageShack and then give the link to her, that's free

4. duncyboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you very much for the swift and helpful replies :)

So are Dropbox OK with that then? You're OK to log in and swapsies from anywhere? Fantastic- especially as it can be done through a browser- saves any extra stuff ('cept for the DB folder etc)

Hellhammer: it's OK, I should've clarified we don't live together otherwise I would've just done shared folders ;)

Thanks again, will email her now.

5. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

6. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

How about iChat's file sharing function? I'm not sure if you can send over a whole folder or if it's individual files...... otherwise yeah dropbox like others have suggested. or if you feel like paying $99 a year Mobileme is good too.

7. duncyboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cheers for the replies. Will give iChat a try in the future but have signed up for Dropbox to try that- that'd work better then we don't have to be online at the same time :)

Fingers crossed

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Try ImageShack, it's free. Others are not able to see them unless you give them link for it. I use it for big photos and videos, does the thing and it's easy&free

9. hamlinspahn macrumors regular

10. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

Use yahoo messenger its free and is the fastest file transfer from computer to computer!

--Eric Wilson