Sending links in iMessage

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by !!!, Aug 26, 2016.

1. !!! macrumors 6502

Does anyone else hate the new way you send links in iMessage? Instead of getting a link, it shows a thumbnail and the title of the website.

I can't figure out how to turn it off, so
    A. It doesn't waste my cellular data
    B. Often these are links to videos, and the videos will start auto-playing (from https://gfycat.com/)
    C. I can no longer figure out which link I sent, as half the time, it just shows a basic picture and text.

2. clunkmess macrumors 6502a

clunkmess

I love the feature! It's a nice little preview before i jump into whatever the link is.

3. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

I agree with the above post. The new In-Line links are really nice.

I've never had the issue the OP mentioned of videos auto playing. For me nothing plays until I tap on it, which is the expected behaviour of a feature like this.

4. StonewallBrown macrumors regular

StonewallBrown

Personally, I like it. Makes it more mature looking, compared to just a plain link.

5. IndianBird macrumors 6502a

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Ultimately, having an option to enable or disable previews would be a fairly straightforward and simple thing to have.

7. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

I agree. Even if it's a hidden feature.. Low power mode shows plain text, otherwise show preview.

8. mikzn macrumors 6502

mikzn

love it -very cool feature - i find it fun and more visual than just the link / text - also very cool in Sierra as well.

Great to receive this way as well - you kind of know what the link is about before you even click it.

9. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

One of the only new features of message I am looking forward to - rest is too kiddy for me. Maybe a couple other features are nice.

10. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

Actually, i wish that all links in iMessage, SMS, and email were changed to plain text (un-clickable) as a security measure!!!! Considering the Trident/Pegasus attack vector, others in the past, and the fact that people get phished daily by clicking links, it only makes sense that links are reduced to text. I also wish that any shortened URLs were removed immediately (URL shortening is a massive security fail).

Then, if you really want to infect yourself, you would at least need to select, copy, and paste the URL into the browser to do so.

11. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Isn't that what force touch is for? To let you preview the link so you know what you are in for before you actually click on the link itself.

12. anonymous6237 macrumors 6502

anonymous6237

I like the feature in general but REALLY wish there was an option to disable or to tag a particular sender or message group to not show previews. Sometimes groups of friends, people you're in a relationship with, etc send NSFW images/gifs/links that I would really rather not automatically preview every time I open that message group.

Example: Someone in our group of friends sends a funny gyfcat link of something NSFW that they clearly say is NSFW. I don't get the option of not automatically showing that right when I open it. Great.

13. IndianBird macrumors 6502a

14. as4life macrumors regular

Love the new feature. One of things I missed from Android

15. alexmarchuk macrumors 6502a

alexmarchuk

More useful on the 6S with 3D Touch

Who is hovering over you that it's such an issue? Lol

16. Twicecharmed macrumors newbie

Twicecharmed

--- Post Merged, Mar 30, 2017 ---
    I personally love the new feature as well.. but I looked for how to disable this feature for one ridiculous reason. My husband enjoys getting songs stuck in my head from time to time. I send a YouTube link back in response. But if he sees that I sent him a video of Barney singing "I love you" he's not going to listen. So silly reason to learn today that if I put in power save mode I can send just the link. Thank you macrumors
    --- Post Merged, Mar 30, 2017 ---

PS it in fact did not work help?

17. Ryankontos macrumors member

Ryankontos

You can actually send links without the preview if you put "."'s above and below them.

So:

www.google.com

Will send as:
    FullSizeRender.jpg

18. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

This may sound snarky and by no means do I mean it to, but if your friends have the decency to warn or give you a heads up that something is "NSFW", why proceed to open it at work? Or at least out in the open at work? Surely a trip to the water cooler, breakroom or bathroom could reduce any Wandering eye Wallys or Nosey Nancys from peering over your shoulder or looking at your screen.