sending mac to apple service center - can i remove the hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by askywalker, Mar 31, 2008.

1. askywalker macrumors regular

We always remove the hard drives when returning our computers to a service center - company policy. We now have a MacBook Pro that infiltrated our IT Department (mine! :p ) . My IT department wants to remove the hard drive, but I told them that this might cause trouble with the Apple warranty (same idea as upgrading drives ?)

Anyway - just curious how other businesses handle this? I am going to call the service center about it, but they aren't open yet, and wanted to drop it off on my way in to work.

Thanks!

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

I doubt they are going to like that, but it may depend on the nature of the problem you're having repaired. If it obviously is not the hard drive / software-related problems, it might be fine. like you said, just give them a call and explain your company's policy.

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

What are you sending it in for? I don't think it's a good idea...

4. jeffmc macrumors 6502

if the problem is NOT hard drive/software related, it shouldn't be a problem.

typically apple will boot off of a firewire utility disk to run their tests/analysis with a known working install.

however, i'm sure they'd like to boot up the computer to make sure it works before they send it back to you. it'd be a much better idea to leave it in.