Sending Macbook Pro in... Reformat???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wayland1985, Aug 15, 2008.

1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

Hello all,

I'm sending my macbook pro in for repair (Sound card and overheating). Do you think I'll need to reformat my HD before sending it in? I have numerous phone numbers, my email accounts, iChat friends etc etc that I don't feel like having tampered with. Should I be worried about sending it out to apple? Or should it be fine as is??? :confused:

2. greenmymac macrumors 6502a

greenmymac

To be safe I would.... besides I think apple reformats the Hard drive when they get it anyways

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

It more than likely won't get tampered with:

Then again, anything less than 3 zero writes probably won't be able to keep them out (boot into disk utility)

If your really sensitive about it then do what I've described and do a fresh install. They will need to log into your machine anyway, and if you want it back within a reasonable amount of time, let them get it out of the queue as soon as possible.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well if you're worried about sensitive data, I would perform a Time Machine back up, then 3x Wipe the drive and reinstall the OS. When you get back, restore from Time Machine.

I just ripped out the drive and put another one in for the repair.

5. nephilim7 macrumors regular

yeah what he said.

I backup then secure wipe, then install the default OS.

6. hitnrun7 Guest

i'd do way more than three times wipe... i have some very sensitive data on my MBP (not exactly mart i know, as its a laptop...).

7. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

I never ever relinquish control of my computer without backing up all my data to an external and wiping the drive clean, usually with the 1-pass zero writing and reinstalling the OS and updates. This does a couple of things: it helps to establish a hardware/software problem's reproducibility under clean conditions and it gives me total peace of mind that my data is not in the wrong or curious hands.