Sending Macbook To AppleCare: W/O an HD? That Cool?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by HappyDude20, Apr 17, 2009.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

AppleCare just repaired a messed up screen and inverter board on my white Macbook. This was done at the Apple Store, though when I received my Macbook back I noticed a messed up opening where the inverter board goes.

The employee at the Apple Store said they'd cover it, along with the recent "cracking" on the white casing Apple has admitted to fixing recently. The employee said I could leave my Mac there for another 3-5 days, though I mentioned I didn't live near that particular Apple Store, nor any Apple Store. So he said to call AppleCare where they'll send me a box to ship out my Mac and AppleCare will fix the issues and mail it right back to my front door.

The employee said to make sure I back up my HD cause they're known for returning Macs with erased HD's...

...I really can't back up all my contents on my 500GB HD so...can I send my Mac in without an HD?

2. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

Don't you think you should be seeking the 'OK' from Apple, instead of from a forum?

3. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

.... or consider putting in a drive other that the 500GB like the original one that came in your MB. My thoughts are that they may need a drive in there to confirm that it will turn on properly once they're done with the operation(s).

4. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Apple will want your original HDD back, with the machine. I had a problem with my 2.4 Mb and had to take it in to blue-water apple store. Where they refused to look at my machine as I did not have the original HDD in it. I went off my head at them, I had an issue with the screen not the HDD. But they were adamant that the HDD could be the cause of my problems.

So I simply went home back to my other home in London where the HDD was and placed it back in the machine and just returned it. I did not even bother to have it repaired.

5. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yyyeah i'd have to agree with you on this one. why not purchase a drive and back it up - you should always back up your data and now would be a good time to start.

you could always ask around (friends/family) and see if anyone has an external or a computer in which you could format the HD and backup all your data..