Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Anyone know a good way to send mail from the proper account? I have an iCloud and a gmail account, but when I send messages I'd like it to always default new messages to the iCloud account. It seems like the new smart way of handling messages chooses for me.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
Anyone know a good way to send mail from the proper account? I have an iCloud and a gmail account, but when I send messages I'd like it to always default new messages to the iCloud account. It seems like the new smart way of handling messages chooses for me.

Settings > mail > scroll down to default account. Choose

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community

And if the email window opens with incorrect account selected, tap your email address and you can choose any of your existing email accounts.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008

This doesn't work with Apples new "smart" send from feature which tries to choose which account you want to us for you.

And if the email window opens with incorrect account selected, tap your email address and you can choose any of your existing email accounts.

This is how I've had to do it, problem is I hate having to select it, and often I forget to change it.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Have you considered setting up forwarding on your gmail account? That's what I do. So people still email me at my gmail account, but it comes into my iCloud account. When I reply it's obviously from my iCloud account. Then you can just remove your gmail account from Mail and you'll never accidentally use it.

This might not be satisfactory if you sometimes want to email from gmail on your phone. but if those cases are rare enough you could get the gmail app, turn off all notifications etc., and just use it as a client for the occasional email, as i do.

edit: realise this is not exactly what you want, but could be of use to your or anyone else in similar situations.

Last edited:

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England

Have you considered setting up forwarding on your gmail account? That's what I do. So people still email me at my gmail account, but it comes into my iCloud account. When I reply it's obviously from my iCloud account. Then you can just remove your gmail account from Mail and you'll never accidentally use it.

This might not be satisfactory if you sometimes want to email from gmail on your phone. but if those cases are rare enough you could get the gmail app, turn off all notifications etc., and just use it as a client for the occasional email, as i do.

edit: realise this is not exactly what you want, but could be of use to your or anyone else in similar situations.

I also forward my gmail to iCloud. The advantage of this is that in Mail you can then just stay in the iCloud inbox (instead of All Inboxes), thereby bypassing the "smart" mail feature. All sent mail will come from your iCloud address.

What I did for sending mail from my gmail account was to setup a new "other" mail account using the correct outgoing gmail information, but incorrect incoming information. That way Mail doesn't get new mail from my gmail account (which is forwarded to iCloud), but I am able to send from that account by selecting it in the From field.

That's for mail sent from outside of the Mail app.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
One is my work email, and I do need to send from both, otherwise forwarding would work great. Thanks for the idea. I'm just using the mail app for iCloud and the gmail app for the gmail, I guess I'll just stick with it this way.

Problem is I hate having the gmail app:D, and the gmail app is terrible on my ipad, it crashes constantly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.