Sending mass e-mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by uplusd, Mar 21, 2009.

1. uplusd macrumors 6502

Hi,

Does anyone know how to send an e-mail to multiple recipients and hide the e-mail addresses of other recipients. However, I still want the person receiving the e-mail to see ONLY their e-mail address in the To: field. I know this is possible as I've seen it before. Is there a way to do this in Apple Mail?

Thanks

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, it's called BCC: Blind Carbon Copy.

Those people in the BCC field cannot see that anyone else in the BCC field got the email.

3. uplusd thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your reply but I think you misunderstood the question. Blind Carbon Copy would not accomplish what I am trying to do. If I was to BCC the entire list of people then nothing would show up in the To: field. I want each recipient to ONLY see their own e-mail address in the To: field. I've seen this done multiple times at work.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Then, I am not sure. Are you sure that everyone saw only their own address? Placing one address in the To: field will make everyone see that address.

5. DuckHuntD0g macrumors newbie

DuckHuntD0g

Hey, I am planning on designing a blast-email solution for my community, and what I am planning on to accomplish this end is to have a CSV file (flat txt file with emails separated by commas) and have a PHP script that sends whatever message I enter to each email in the file via a loop.

So what would happen is that I would enter a message and then the PHP script would send that message to each of the emails individually. You need a script and a server to run it on, but that's my current plan.
    Also not terribly efficient (Seems O(n), for an computer scientists out there), but it would do the job in terms of information hiding...

Thoughts?

6. Paddrino macrumors newbie

If you are using mail, you can go to preferences and then "composing". In there you will see a check box for "When sending to a group , show all member addresses". Uncheck this box and only the person you are sending to will see the "to" address as their own. They won't see the other addresses in your group.