Sending messages in Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DeSnousa, May 14, 2008.

1. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Hey guys,

I have been having this problem for over 3 months now and it is really annoying me!

I cannot send messages with my (dot) .Mac account within Mail, I have also tried Outlook of Windows. I have the settings correct, I'm using smtp.mac.com as my outgoing server and I have tried both port 25 and port 587. I cannot send messages as I keep getting connection errors.

Now the weird thing is I also have Gmail, and I use port 587 to send messages in the outgoing server. So it cannot be an ISP issue blocking port 587.

Please help, why can I not send messages, it makes no sense to me? I'm sick of using the web browser to send messages.

Thanks guys :)

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Try using the smtp server provided by your isp.

3. DeSnousa thread starter macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

So you mean using a different port that my isp uses? Because 587 works with Gmail in Mail, but .Mac dosn't.

4. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

5. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Ok - I'm having a similar but different problem, which has happened to me before (out of the blue) and has been able to fix it itself (out of the blue) -- though I'm not sure what's making it happen in the first place, or how to stop it from happening again.

On occassion, my outgoing .Mac mail just stops being able to send for a while. There's never anything that I've changed -- it just suddenly stops being able to send stuff. I get a message saying it can't send, and to select another server -- but there's only one server to select from (the one it's ALWAYS been), so I'm not sure why it decides it can't work. The mail then just sits in my Outbox.

But this happens only in the MAIL program. If I access my .Mac account online, then I can send mails that way just fine. But it's a pain to have to go online all the time.

Anyone know why this happens??

6. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

7. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

dotmac has outages pretty often.