Sending my iPhone in for a repair

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ahj2756, Jan 24, 2010.

1. ahj2756 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

New to the forum. Just got my first iPhone on Black Friday and I wasn't having trouble with it until today, when I found my screen black, thought it was just dead and then plugged it in to no avail.

I set up a repair with Apple and I'm going to send the iPhone in tomorrow through UPS. I popped the tray out, took my sim card out and put the tray back in but I was wondering other than that, what, if anything, should I do before sending my iPhone out? Also, should I send anything with the iPhone like the box that it came with it? Thanks guys. Hopefully my second go will be less painful.

2. yentrog31 macrumors regular

yentrog31

thats it ,just the phone...UPS will know how to package it...I sent in 2 so far but Apple sent me a fed ex box..why didnt you go that route?

3. NathanA macrumors 6502a

As far as I know, Apple exclusively uses FedEx now for phone return and repair (at least in the States...maybe that'd the difference). They pay both for the box and packaging as well as for the shipping both ways (they'll send YOU the box they want you to send it to them back in, with a pre-paid shipping label attached to it and instructions for packaging and such). So the UPS comment is confusing to me as well.

Don't send it to them in your own box through your carrier of choice. Just use the pre-paid, custom-padded box that they should have sent you.

Also, you may be (pleasantly) surprised to learn that Apple will not repair your phone. To keep things simple for themselves and to get you a working phone in your hands faster, they will send you a replacement phone and keep your old one, which they will fix up/remanufacture and reintroduce into the "repair" supply chain.

-- Nathan