Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mojo67821

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2006
knifegun said:
My responses are based on a ton of "google" research and people's responses. I think there are a lot of responses because there is not a clear answer from Apple about the processor whine issue. Some people find it ok and others find it irritating. However, if you google for more information on the issue, people with brand new MBP still have the processor noise. Getting a new one at this point will not resolve the issue from everything I have read.
QUOTE]

For the record, I bought mine just over 2 weeks ago, and the thing is the quietest computer I have ever used... I haven't heard this "whine" issue at all. I just don't want everyone thinking that all of these machines are defective.

The heat is an issue on mine... but that is the point of the aluminum. It's metal, and it's going to suck up the heat from the inside of the machine. If you run a cooling pad underneath it to take the heat away, it stays more than cool enough. Now, I'm not an expert so I can't say if that amount of heat is normal or not, but it is a new processor, and a fast one at that.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
joseph2166 said:
Well i've sorted it out at last - I'm gonna exchange my mbp instore for either another mbp (I'll ask if I can be in a quiet room with it for a min to see if the noise is there!) or an iMac if I can get it...

Also where can I find a list of the serial numbers and what revs they are?

Joseph2166, just wondering, how long have you had your MBP?

knifegun

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2006
Mojo67821 said:
knifegun said:
My responses are based on a ton of "google" research and people's responses. I think there are a lot of responses because there is not a clear answer from Apple about the processor whine issue. Some people find it ok and others find it irritating. However, if you google for more information on the issue, people with brand new MBP still have the processor noise. Getting a new one at this point will not resolve the issue from everything I have read.
QUOTE]

For the record, I bought mine just over 2 weeks ago, and the thing is the quietest computer I have ever used... I haven't heard this "whine" issue at all. I just don't want everyone thinking that all of these machines are defective.

The heat is an issue on mine... but that is the point of the aluminum. It's metal, and it's going to suck up the heat from the inside of the machine. If you run a cooling pad underneath it to take the heat away, it stays more than cool enough. Now, I'm not an expert so I can't say if that amount of heat is normal or not, but it is a new processor, and a fast one at that.

You should feel lucky that your does not have the whine. There are actually some machines that do not have the whine. Apple knows what causes the whine and will be addressing it in the next release of the MB.

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
wickedG35 said:
**UPDATE**

Finally received my Macbook Pro back after waiting over 2 1/2 weeks. It's amazing how you call in to complain and suddenly your macbook pro ships out next day and all repairs are done.

Anyways:

1) They installed a new thermal model w/ temp sensor - My MBP is now running much cooler.

Ugh... at least it runs cooler?

They are doing this? So all new mbp's are fixed heatwise?

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
[QUOTE
excalibur313 said:
They are doing this? So all new mbp's are fixed heatwise?

Yeah, they are installing new thermal models... But you know what? My MBP still gets as hot as it used to. Before, it would get SCORCHING hot within minutes. Now, it delays the heat for another 10 minutes but still gets SCORCHING hot.

This is BS... Apple will be getting a call from me tommorow.

joseph2166

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
I dunno what's wrong with applecare - it's as if they're nothign to do with Apple, and share none of apple's good service

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
wickedG35 said:
Before, it would get SCORCHING hot within minutes. Now, it delays the heat for another 10 minutes but still gets SCORCHING hot.
Did you have a PowerBook before? If so, can you compare the two temperatures?

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
aristobrat said:
Did you have a PowerBook before? If so, can you compare the two temperatures?

I actually had an iBook (which NEVER really got hot, honest). But I've compared this to the Powerbook and it is 3x-4x hotter.

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2005
i Just got mine back after appled held it for about 15 days. Still has the whine and still hot. The sheet said they replaced a thermal module and thats it? anyone have any info on this?

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
joshwest said:
i Just got mine back after appled held it for about 15 days. Still has the whine and still hot. The sheet said they replaced a thermal module and thats it? anyone have any info on this?

Just like me. The thermal module didn't appear to do jack. BTW, those with the new LCD inverter... does a black strip fade across your screen when you go from 0 bar brightness to 1?

dailo

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2006
Because it's still the best laptop I have ever owned. Now that I have resolved the heat issue I can honestly say that it is really the best laptop I've owened. Also cryptonome is releasing his fix for the MBP whine which will resolve that issue, but that hasn't really bothered me much. My MBP is so much better than my Dell 9150 with a 2.8 GHz Dual :D

joseph2166

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
dailo said:
Because it's still the best laptop I have ever owned.

I'd have to agree with you there it is amazing and looked brilliant. I only replaced mine with an iMac because I wanted the bit of extra power now windows can let me play games on it.

brikeh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2006
dailo said:
Because it's still the best laptop I have ever owned.

Fair enough, me I wouldnt accept any of that **** with a brand new computer. Some people are way to forgiving. :rolleyes:

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2005
brikeh said:
Fair enough, me I wouldnt accept any of that **** with a brand new computer. Some people are way to forgiving. :rolleyes:

AMEN, i do agree wonderful laptop very speedy but the heat and whine issues are way to unaccpetable for a 2500 machine. Its like buying a new 5 series and the radio makes a high pitch annoying sound and the air doesnt work after driving for 15 min.

robertmorris2

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2006
Key West
Repair Time..

I sent my macbook out for repair and got it returned in 4 days. The screen went black on me and they replaced some kind of control in it. Also, the notebook ran VERY HOT before sending it out for repair, now it is almost cool to the touch after using it for over 2 hrs. at a time. I didn't request that the heat issue be addressed...however with the repair being done, they might have corrected the heat issue also. Lucky me..because I could barley touch the metal of the notebook without getting burned...

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2005
wish i could of had luck, my whine goes on and off as it pleases. But still very hot. I use Ilap and it still runs hot to the point after a few hours im sweating i dont like sweating when using a computer

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Well, after 2 hours of talking with Apple on the phone... They offered to send me a replacement. I had to go through 3 different people to get to upper management. He looked at all the issues and offered to take it back to applecare but deep down knew they could never fix all the issues 100%.

He also offered me the 17" for $300 more so I told him I'll sleep on it. I went to the Apple Store to look at it, but they had none (thought they might have taken shipment already). I think I'm going to go for it and get the 17"

I am realllllllllly hoping I don't run into the heat & whine issues with the 17". He told me I'd get at a minimum 1 hour more battery life in addition to all the other goodies. What do you guys think?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I think that if you get a replacement that you're not guaranteed to get a machine any better than the one you currently have.

I'd wait until the reviews for the 17"ers have come in. If they're good, go for one of those. If not, ... well ... hopefully you won't have to deal with that. :)

knifegun

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2006
aristobrat said:
I think that if you get a replacement that you're not guaranteed to get a machine any better than the one you currently have.

I'd wait until the reviews for the 17"ers have come in. If they're good, go for one of those. If not, ... well ... hopefully you won't have to deal with that. :)

Go for the 17inch.

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
knifegun said:
Go for the 17inch.

That's what I plan to do. All signs point to the 17 inch.

2.16 ghz dual core over 2.0, 20gb more hd space, 8x Dual Layer over 4x reg, firewire 800 port + an additional usb port, bigger screen overall (i'm fine with my 15" but 17" would be just fine), and an extra hour of battery life w/ the new polymer battery (very crucial!) .

uberfoto

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2006
Can the 17" MBP battery be fit into the 15"?

On another note, (deep breath) mine is a week 12 build. It runs hot but not too hot that it would burn me. "Very warm" is a better way to put it.

The whine is there but I unless I am up late working or in a library, I can't here it. Also, it generally only makes the static/whine noise when running off of battery. When I plug it in, the noise quiets down after a second or two. The noise in mine seems to be coming from the left speaker area though. I have heard some of you saying it comes from near the disc drive.

I bought mine new on ebay, do I need to contact the "store" I bought it from on ebay or can I go to my local Apple store for complaints/tech support? What kind of info do they ask when you call the Apple support line? Mine came new and sealed in an Apple box FYI.

All of this sure makes me nervous. Some people seem like they have blown it out of proportion while others seem to have a genuine argument. I can't decide how I want to persue this problem on my own MBP. After saving many months and finally picking this computer, I now have some buyers remorse having heard of so many problems occurring. I can't afford to dump this much money into a halfassed product. This was my big switch to Mac and it seems I may have made an unwise choice. Yeah, there are always ups and downs to everything, nothing is going to be perfect but these issues seem out of the question and something that should have been fixed during testing phases. (read on, this doesn't completely explain how I feel. Just confused really.)

Do I take it back and try to get a new machine?

Do I try and get them to switch it out for a 17" MBP? (+300~) Who's to say the 17" won't have its own list of problems?

Do I complain enough until I get a refund and then wait for something else?

This is my primary computer. I don't want to go back to my outdated PC that I have already moved all of my files from. I have given it to my family to use. Now I have a predicament. I don't want to give this MBP up and need it for everyday use but would it be unwise to keep it and put up with its quirks and heat issues? I need something that is going to last AT LEAST a couple of years until I can afford to/justify buy(ing) a new one.

How bad are the problems REALLY? Is it bad enough that we can't live with it? Is it bad enough that it isn't worth keeping? Or is it just the quirks of owning a laptop, the things you just deal with?

My boss was almost convinced to buy one until we started hearing of their issues. He also would have had to run it in Windows most of the time for some of the money management programs and such but we found Boot Camp was having issues and some of the features in Windows couldn't be used. Boy, they sure make these computers sound like God's gift to the world when in reality, they are still JUST laptops that have their own quirks and manufacturers' problems like every other company out there.

Sorry for the long winded response. I don't know how to proceed at the moment. Not sure if this was the right thread to post in...

uberfoto

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2006
As I am sitting here, I do notice a random whine kind of noise that comes from above the disc drive. Almost sounds like the computer is moaning in the way the pitch starts low and gets higher and then lower again and stops. Reminds me of Young Frankenstein with Gene Wilder.

I guess now that I have officially complained in a post, my computer is going to start whining all the time. It's doing it a lot right now.

:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.